I have a Sony Ericsson K800i - will I miss anything?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applemax, Feb 7, 2008.

1. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

Well I got a call from T-Mobile UK today asking me if I wanted to renew the 18 month contract with them. Should I stick with this or go for a 16GB iPhone now? I have contract cancellation insurance so time doesn't matter for me, but I'm wondering what I'm gonna miss from the SE, gain with the iPhone and are these lost features maybe going to be added in the SDK?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I had a k800 before my iPhone and I miss picture messaging, copy and paste but apart from that I can't think of anything else at the moment, although picture messaging is a big hole.

3. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

OK - I don't use picture messaging - my only concerns are the camera, loss of 3g and no FM radio, which I regularly use.

4. knoxtown macrumors 6502

There is webapp called iRadio. If you live in many of the major metro areas, they have streaming radio from many stations around the country.

Good Luck!:apple:

5. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

I think that app is just for US stations - im in the UK - thanks anyway :)

6. JasO macrumors regular

I had a K800i before i switched to an iPhone and i never even knew the SE had copy and paste! i did use the FM radio for a little while but then i just started using my nano instead as i got tired of listening to the same top 10 over and over. I would say make the switch, you wont be disappointed.

7. adamsweeting macrumors regular

Like the last post said.... go get one, you certainly won't be dissapointed.

I had a K800i, then a K850i - got an iPhone now, and it's easily the best phone I've ever seen/owned.

8. alexdudman macrumors member

I had a W850i before iPhone in November.
    I am loving the iPhone still and its the best phone ever.
    I do however miss 2 things:
    1/. Quiet loudspeaker for ringtones and playing music out loud.
    2/. Sending stuff through bluetooth (you can only attach a headset - no file shares)

Apart from that the iPhone is amazing and is a quality product and offers loads more feature than Sony Ericsson does at the minuite, so although you loose some features you also gain many many many more! - GO BUY!

9. yayaba macrumors 6502

I had a k790a before the iPhone. The k790 had copy/paste? I never knew.

Only thing I miss is the camera but even the camera on the k790a wasn't THAT great...

10. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

cubbie5150

I also had a K790a (though I got a Nokia 6500 Slide before I got the iPhone).. Even though I didn't use it much, the K790a camera was terrific! Took great shots, & the flash was great for low-light shots. The vastly superior camera & MMS are the only things I miss in relation to the iPhone.

11. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Will that plugin FM radio thingy that Apple made for the iPods work on the iPhone? That seems to be one quick (and relatively cheap) way to get back the radio on an iPhone.

12. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

I don't think so - it's not listed on the compatibility list on the Apple store page.

13. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

I had the K800i before I got my iPhone too (and I'm in the UK).

I'm not too bothered about the Copy & Paste not being there because I know anything will be possible with the upcoming updates like every month!

I'm sooo happy I got my iPhone! When I see my mates K800i's now, they just don't compare what-so-ever!

Mate, I'd say just get it now before your mind wanders away from the idea! :apple:;)

14. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

Well, I have to say thank you to everyone who's helped me. I've made my decision. On Tuesday, I'm going to stay safe and phone up T-Mobile and tell them to stick their contract. Then I'm going to go to Regent Street and pick up my new 16GB iPhone. Then I'm going to come back to this thread with some pictures and some responses. That's the plan anyway - hope I'm making the right decision! Also, when do you think a product refresh will happen (e.g. better camera, 3G, etc...) and when it does, am I eligible to upgrade if I'm still halfway through my contract? How does it work?

Thanks again for all your help :D

15. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

A full product refresh should be announced later this year. My personal guess is from Summer onwards.

They may still yet increase the memory and they can do that when it suits Apple best. None of us expected them to drop a 16Gb iphone this week.

I also have a Sony Ericsson K800i after using a K750i for 13 months before that. I also used a Blackberry Curve all before the iPhone.

There are three main things I miss. Bluetooth file transfer, MMS (Picture Messaging) and the camera (video, 3.2 mp & xenon flash). BUT I love my iPhone and even with these things missing it is still my favourite of all the mobile phones I've used.

16. tomjleeds macrumors 6502

I've never really been a picture messaging fan...since getting my K800 in October 2006 I think I've used it the grand total of twice. It's too expensive, too slow and the picture quality is too downgraded.

Copy/paste was pretty nifty on the K800, but I can live without it. However, I have to say I think I'll miss Bluetooth file transfer quite a lot...although I guess I'll just send pictures in emails instead.

You're making the right choice, though. I grabbed an 8GB iPhone on Tuesday morning, then upon discovering the developing news shot down to the O2 store just after release and got what I believe is quite possibly the first 16GB solid in the UK (they were sat there scanning and re-scanning the thing until the tills would accept it). I'm still using both phones as my number won't be transferred for the best part of a week, and using the SE just feels...well, like it feels when you use your old phone. Basic.