I have a strange career question for you.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Jan 16, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I will be persuing the career network technician /.comouter technician and a friend of mine told me that i should persue eletricty / eletrician also because thats the future. So I don't believe her, is there any thruth to this?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know if a career as an electrician has a more promising future as a computer technician, but there is probably a good future in the field of new and renewable energy.

Computer technicians will always be needed, as computers are part of our daily life now and they will get even bigger parts in the future.
    But they also always need some kind of electricity, so one needs the other, and in some parts vice versa.

3. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

It depends...do you like doing electrical stuff? If not, I wouldn't go into that field. There's no point going into a career field if you don't like the work.

Electricians are kind of like plumbers, in that there will always be a need for them. The catch is that a lot of their work depends on new construction/remodeling, so when the construction market tanks, the amount of work declines. I think there will be an increase in specialty areas like solar panels and other green tech, but I don't see that much of an increase in the career.

There is always a need for skilled tradespeople, and usually a shortage. I think it's a real shame that we don't encourage more high school students to consider these type of careers. Not everybody needs to go to a four year university.

4. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Electricians handle the wiring tasks associated with homes and buildings, while computer related electricians/technicians handle slightly more complex circuitry and part integration. It all depends on what you like doing, but the difference being a rather stagnant demand for electricians and a rapidly growing market for computer related technicians to coincide with the "technical age"

5. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

So if I wanted to mainly work with computers/ being a network tech would having a certificate in electrcity have any benefit?

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Not really. I'm in the field, and I never do hard core electrical work. If I need to fix any hardware, parts usually get replaced, not repaired. It can be handy, though if you are interested in that sort of thing. One of the guys I work with was an electrician, and he has done a lot of work wiring up rack sized UPSs, and running power outlets to comm closets. It lets us get stuff done faster, since we don't have to wait around for the electricians to show up. Other than that, though, you wouldn't really do a lot of electrical stuff.

7. mac88 macrumors 6502

True. You can also charge the client for the electrical work performed by yourself. Little more money in your pocket.

8. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

A lot more money, from what I have seen of electricians' rates. :)

My brother is an electrician, and makes more money than I do as a network administrator. OK, he's actually a project manager now, but he still made good money when he was in the field as an electrician. It's funny...when I worked for a computer consulting firm, customers would sometimes complain about our hourly rate. I always asked them if they had priced a plumber or electrician lately.

9. mac88 macrumors 6502

I just had some work done at my house, holy cow! I should have become an electrician.

10. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

As homes becomes more and more "wired" I think your starting to see a bit more crossover between the two. I know a guy who is an electrician and computer tech who specialized in high end home theater installation. With computers and networks becoming a larger part of home theaters, I could see someone going that route.