I have a stuck pixel on my imac, will apple fix it

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by colin.h, Sep 17, 2008.

1. colin.h macrumors newbie

i have just discovered a flickering green pixel on my imac, i have tried a few programs to activate or fix the pixel but so far they haven't worked. It is still in the 12 month warranty period and the dealer i purchased it from has a good reputation and they specialize in apple merchandise. Does anyone know if my screen would be fixed or replaced because of this problem or would it be ignored as it is not a major malfunction.

2. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

From what I recall, there's a minimum number of dead pixels required before the issue will be addressed. (5 or more dead pixels, I believe)

As a consumer it sounds horrendously nit-picky, I know...but to replace an entire display for one dead pixel wouldn't be cost effective from a business standpoint.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I would not count on Apple doing much for a single stuck pixel unfortunately. At some point someone posted a link (which I of course can not find now) on the Apple support site that defined their policy on bad pixels- as to how many dead or stuck pixels had to be on a screen, their positioning, etc. before they would consider it a warranty repair type of item.

It certainly doesn't hurt to ask, but I would not get your hopes up.

4. mashny macrumors regular

Your chances of getting it replaced might depend on where the pixel is. If it's near the center of the screen you might be better able to present your case than if it's off to the side somewhere.

5. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

You won't know until you ask, it's hit and miss.

There was an image posted of their official policy a while back which consumers weren't supposed to see; it was promptly removed at the request of Apple's Legal department.

I'd imagine 5 pixels + would be required, if not more.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's the same behavior I've seen.

Keep going it's more unless they're clustered in one spot. The official policy is harsh. Practice is another thing of course.