i have a trojan- how do i get rid of it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by royalearth, Dec 16, 2009.

1. royalearth macrumors newbie

i'm a new mac user- 6 months in and it appears i have a trojan. email keeps sending out msgs to my entire inbox and more weird things are starting to happen everyday!! i installed ClamXav and it hasn't found anything.:eek: please help!

2. ethical macrumors 68000

What do you mean by "more weird things"? It's almost certainly not a trojan though to be honest. What sort of applications have you installed recently?

3. royalearth thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for responding! so i tried to download a torrent-reader thing but i don't think it did so completely. the weird things are not being able to get online using networks i've used for months and word mysteriously freezing/crashing.

4. ethical macrumors 68000

To be honest you're not giving us a lot of info to go on. If you're really worried/frustrated then you can always book an appointment to go see a Genius at an Apple Store.

5. royalearth thread starter macrumors newbie

oh, okay. i guess i'll do that if things get worse. thanks for you help~

6. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

Does your email have a password? change it if does cause it could be your password got cracked.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

From the limited info you've provided it sounds more like your email account has been compromised rather than your machine. There are very few trojans for Mac and I don't believe any of them mess with your email. The other issues you're noticing likely are just coincidence. As suggested above, change your password for your email account and be sure to use a strong password e.g., at least 8 characters, use letters, numbers, and special character if allowed on account, and nothing you can find in a dictionary.