I have a Vertex 3 in hand...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daneoni, May 16, 2011.

  1. daneoni macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #1
    ...but i'm running out of excuses to keep it. I just had it delivered today and i haven't even opened it. I want to update the firmware (for the new idle power draw) but i only realized recently that some SSD (cross-platform hardware) FW updates are OS specific which i find ridonkulous...i mean it's 2011! At this point i'd already ordered and could no longer cancel.

    I was going to refuse delivery but as fate would have it, the delivery dude knocked once and by the time i opened the door he was gone with my package left on the Welcome mat. Now i'm sitting here staring at the package wondering if i can be bothered to dig out my Win XP CD (i have no clue where it is or if it still exists) and start the PITA procedure. I've read OCZ forums and i'm not even sure i STILL know what to do. I can't do the Linux method because thats even more of a PITA.

    Also will i really be doing this every time a new FW update comes out? which is likely seeing as SATA 3 drives are still largely experimental. I sit wondering if it is worth the hassle at this point in time...yet the geek in me is urging me rip open the package and get started.
     
  2. p1ngputts macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2010
    #2
    I just bought mine about a week ago and haven't done any updates yet... Does anyone think it's possible that there will be an easier way in time to do these updates? I'm new to the mac world and this seems extremely complicated.
     
  3. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2010
    #3
    It really isn't that bad with a Linux ISO image - just burn it to a CD and boot off it, no need to install or anything. Then run the firmware flasher off a USB drive.

    You really don't need to update the firmware anyway. I ran a C300 with original firmware for over a year with no problems. I'm running twin Vertex 3s in this MBP with about 5 hour battery life - when I need to run off battery, which really isn't very often.

    And I've never used TRIM either. :eek:
     
  4. daneoni, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

    daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #4
    But i hear few (if any) Linux distros support the 2011 MBPs (Networking I/O) so theres always an error.

    Edit: I also just realized that i actually need Win 7 because XP is no longer supported and therefore no bootcamp drivers are provided for the 2011 MBPs. Nice.

    Sandforce is apparently working on OS X update compatibility but who knows when that'll surface.

    I'll probably just install the drive as is because i'm curious...it's my first SSD after all.
     
  5. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

    johnnyturbouk

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    Location:
    on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    #5
    Wait, is there no linux distros/iso that are confirmed to work with the 2011 MBP

    hmm, have they not been working on an native OSx updater for how long now - really taking the piss - sandforce need to pull the finger out!

    hell ill take it off ure hands if u dnt want it matey ...lol
    but seriously id give it a chance - i would of ripped it open and had a play around
     
  6. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #6
    The latest Ubuntu might be the only one if at all.

    I'm not holding my breath either.

    I might actually consider it seeing as we both live in London and i've yet to open it (still reading up on Linux updating). I wan't to see if i can update it before doing an OS install which i hear is good practice.
     
  7. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

    johnnyturbouk

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    Location:
    on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    #7
    kewl PM: matey if u wanna sell it - im in se1 and have tons of spare time atm to piss around with this linux stuff and then rant to ocz if/when the drive f's up!

    but ive been thinking of copping a v3 for some time now!
     
  8. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2010
    #8
    Latest Ubuntu (11.04, 23-bit) and PCLinuxOS LiveCDs both fail to boot on my 2011. Will try some others...
     
  9. Weaselboy Moderator

    Weaselboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    Location:
    California
    #9
    There is some discussion in the OCZ forums about this here and here.
     
  10. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #10
    Just as i thought. Win 7 is the only option for 2011 hardware.

    Those are for Indilinx drives and wont work on Vertex 2 and above which use Sandforce.
     
  11. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

    johnnyturbouk

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    Location:
    on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    #11
    ive got win7 on bootcamp - as i like to play a couple games once in a while


    boi i love study leave :D
     
  12. JasonH42, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

    JasonH42 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2010
    #12
    Fedora 14 and openSUSE 11.4 also fail to load. This is likely due to my config though with Vertex 3s in both the HDD and ODD bays and external CD; somebody in another thread said Ubuntu 11.04 worked for them.
     
  13. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #13
    Haven't owned an OS from MS since the reign of Win XP SP2 which came with my then Dell tower. All gaming is done on the Xbox.
     
  14. awer25 macrumors 65816

    awer25

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2011
    #14
    Don't worry about updating it. Mine is on the stock 2.02 firmware and works perfectly, and I get almost 7 hours if I only use the integrated GPU and don't access the spinning HDD too much.
     
  15. daneoni, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011

    daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #15
    Decided to install it seeing as johnny was no longer interested in taking it off my hands. Installation was painless and i actually liked the packaging...felt somewhat luxurious. There is definitely a speed boost. Spotlight was done indexing in just over a minute, i don't see spinning gears anymore when booting, launched all apps in my Application folder in a matter of seconds whilst the UI was still responding to my input and things are generally just blazing fast.

    I ran AJA and i get the results below. Will continue to play with it and see how if any issues pop up (already alerted the retailer to have an RMA on standby just in case). But so far no major hiccups...only gripe/nitpick is that i can't get the FW to 2.06.
     

    Attached Files:

  16. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

    johnnyturbouk

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    Location:
    on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    #16
    matey - thats quite respectable speeds -

    sorry, i just wanted make sure drive was new n u had receipt - but then i think will wait till i come back from tibet in July - when hopefully the max iops vsn will be more reasonable in the uk
     
  17. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #17
    Fair enough. I wouldn't have bought this either if i hadn't gotten a 15% discount off it.
     
  18. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

    johnnyturbouk

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    Location:
    on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    #18
    the thing is i really want a v3 quite badly atm - i noticed u're benchmarks in the other thread and they are pretty impressive - i know they are not what ocz publicise but still blows the others out the water!

    also, pretty strapped cash atm since im goin travelling, if i do cop a v3 now and it doenst work, it would be a PIA to RMA before i go away
     
  19. awer25 macrumors 65816

    awer25

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2011
    #19
    Just my $0.02...if you're leaving soon and want a V3 (and have the cash), it's worth picking one up from someone where you can see it in action first.
     
  20. p3t3rsn macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2011
    Location:
    Canada
    #20
    IF you can wait a tad longer I would. The Corsair Force 3 with 85k IOPS (vs Vertex 3 60K IOPS and Vertex 3 "Max IOPS" w/ 75k IOPS) looks to be "the" SF2000 to beat...but it could also just be marketing hype. The Crucial M4 which is still the "other" SSD that is a beast.

    With that being said...its not like the std Vertex 3 is slow or anything. So if you need one now...its not a "bad" choice by any stretch!
     
  21. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

    Macsavvytech

    Joined:
    May 25, 2010
    #21
    Meh, i bet it will have a Aussie "Crucial Price" too. For free of course that extra Aussie price difference will be added :(
    Now to find a seller without the extra Aussie price difference ...
     
  22. Nox Darkness macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    #22
    I think Coasair force 3 ssd will be a fast ssd that is coming out soon. The price is cheaper as well.
     
  23. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

    johnnyturbouk

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    Location:
    on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    #23
    wow - ure right im seeing the corsair force series 3 for £411 at scan.com
    vs £430 ocz vertex 3, £505 for oc vertex 3 max iops (boths 240gb)

    Although, i have very little knowledge of corsair ssds, and if they play nice with the MBP - so will hold out until early adopters have tested and confirmed compatibility

    My instincts and heart says to wait till July - as does my wallet!
     
  24. Nox Darkness macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    #24
    Yeah, it's the same for me as well but I must say that it's tempting when I know that there is a vertex 3 that is available right now. I hope I can last that long :)
     

Share This Page