I have a very important question regarding the in-ear headphones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by franzmueller, Dec 29, 2008.

1. franzmueller macrumors regular

HI

Ok... here is my story

Been using the stock headphones since .... 2003 , sound is ok for me and beside of one pair all others ( 5 or 6 ) have been holding pretty decently so far

My biggest problem is : they do not fit in my ears decently ... they keep falling out , I´ve tried the first generation in-ear ones and found them to be as bad as the stock ( in terms of fitting )

So.... I do not really care much about the sound quality ( I guess they sound better ) but what I need to know is if they do fit better into people´s ears like mine ...

I don´t want to spend 80 .- euros to find out that the keep falling off like all others , cause in that case I keep the ones which came with my iphone

Saludos

Franz

2. ay98182 macrumors member

The headphones come with three different sizes of ear tips so you should be able to get a good fit

3. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Yeah what he said, also sometimes they come with foam ones for a more personalized fit, although they take a bit more time to put in.

4. actorkid macrumors 6502

the new in-ear headphones fit in my ears better than any other earbuds i've used....

i get a nice tight seal. Just make sure you use the right size tip for your ear.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I guess I have to ask the obvious question anytime someone says that in-ear 'phones do not fit properly... are you sure you're wearing them correctly? Have you ever worn in-ear headphones and had them work correctly? I'm just asking because there are not infrequently people who just don't put them in far enough and then aren't satisfied with them. They should go in far enough to make a seal with your external auditory meatus. In fact there shouldn't really be a way to push them in any farther once they're in properly, because the body of the earphone should be up against your pinna....

6. franzmueller thread starter macrumors regular

Yes , I still have them : Apple in ear headphones from 2 years or so back , if I take off the silicon adaptors they fit ok , the problem is .... that way they offer 0 sound isolation .

Saludos

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think you're making my point for me. If you can't figure out how to insert them in your ears properly, ask a friend who uses in-ear headphones to show you how they work.... ;) Seriously.

8. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

That's good to hear, I got the old in ear $30 ones and they did not fit, I had to wear a hat but hopefully the new ones will fit.

ChrisN

9. franzmueller thread starter macrumors regular

Never mind ..... I know , there are lots of kids around asking questions but I´m 42 so .... not a newbie in headphones issues .

Thanks anyway for taking yourself the time to answer my questions.

I guess , I will give a try to the new ones .

Saludos

Franz

10. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

i just bought the new In-Ears for my 3G today, and love them. I tried all of the sizes and found after fiddling for awhile that the medium sized buds fit best. The size differenced seem to cover a wide range and should work for you no problem. This was my first time with In-ears of any type and I'm glad I got these to work right. Quality's great, everything works except the volume controls (which I knew prior to purchase) and are comfortable. Oddly enough, one of the Apple sales guys was telling me how he just bought a pair for his 3G even though on the box it says it's not compatible with the iPhone 3G after I asked him to confirm they work at all in conversation.

A little tangent:
    mkrishnan - Should they feel almost as if you are changing altitude on a plane; Pressure wise? I push them in and there is no bass until they make that solid seal and it creates a pressure difference. I'm assuming that's normal and just want to confirm with your experience?
    Thanks in advance,
    Auzburner

11. Chwisch87 macrumors 6502

Just got my in-ears today .... O M G vocals are AMAZING. seriously omg.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, that's always how I have used them ... they're almost like earplugs in that sense. They don't work until they've mechanically isolated the ear canal from other sounds.

To the OP, I wasn't really being sarcastic. Whether you're 42 or 14, if you're saying the only way you've ever gotten in-ear earphones to work is by taking the silicone plugs off completely, you really, seriously, are not understanding how in-ears work. In ears are amazing, and I absolutely swear by them, but what you're describing just doesn't make any sense really at all. Even if the buds do not fit your ear properly, you should always be getting better functionality from them with the silicone buds than without.