i have a very strange problem with Airport, help you experts...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 11miles, Dec 9, 2008.

1. 11miles macrumors member

MBP 2.4 penyryn no upgrade, no need.

my wireless works great when connecting to any open Wlans i can think off except the my home one.
    The thing is live in a rented apartment, and get my internet through the Access point. The AP is not in my power to configure, because the landlord had bad experience with previous tenants. So he has the AP hidden and locked, unless i gave him a mac address of a notebook, ad he kindly reconfigures the router.

Before i got the MBP, i tried the wireless with my iPhone and it still works like a charm.

After I got the MBP, i got him my MBP AIRPORT ID, which i found on the system preference, airport, advanced....
    I am sure i didnt give hime the Ethernet one.

He configured the AP and it dont work.

What could be the problem. I checked the mac address, he rechecked the configurations...

I cannot log to AP wiht the MBP through airport.

Since the AP is also a LAN router, i can use the internet but on the wire.
    I also borrowed friends BAse station, worked through that, just not directly through Wlan from my MBP to AP.

again, the iPhone works great. Always had. Never had to configure it, not a thing.

Does anybody have any clue? Is there something i had to click or configure inside the Airport regarding the wireless of the Access Point i want to use. I dont have access to the AP itself, so i can only infulence the MBP side of the WLAN.

any ideas?

TIA, matt

2. 11miles thread starter macrumors member

is there a way i have to configure any IP address within my MBP to be able to connect to AP?

Is DHCP setup automatically?

3. 11miles thread starter macrumors member

A few questions to one who knows the answer...

is the mac address case sensitive? small caps are used in system preferences/network/airport/advanced, where the mac address of the Airport is written.
    i rememeber having an HP laptop, with MAC address written on the back of the battery with big letters.

If the same address in large caps is written in the routed config, will that pose a problem? The one i am expiriencing?

Is it possible that the same airport id, i just described the path to, isnt really the airport MAC Address?
    Is there any other way to recheck it?

TIA,

matt