I have a VIRUS !!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Skydiver32, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Skydiver32 macrumors member

I just looked at my iMail (Gmail) Sent box and noticed a bunch of messages from a ***** spammer - a pharmacy bs.
    I don't think the email was actually sent out to anyone else on my address book. See the header on the attachment.

I'm a new Mac user and was happy to rid myself of the win viruses but still went ahead and added NetBarrierX5, but do I need a anti-virus program?

WTF??
    HELP!!!

The sent messages all seem to be coming from the same source ie same type of drug bs

Attached Files:

• Spam.png
      Spam.png
      File size:
      50.3 KB
      Views:
  2. nutritious macrumors 6502

no you don't have a virus. that particular email is just a shady email. Just report the email as spam.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

4. Skydiver32 thread starter macrumors member

But why was it in my "Sent" box?

What is a good "de-wormer"?

BTW, thanks for the quick replies

5. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Like the others said, don't worry about it. There are no viruses for OS X. I wouldn't mind writing one, just for the fame.

BTW, it's "Mail," not "iMail."

6. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Don't panic. In my 6 years using a mac I have only ever had one bad spyware attack.

If you really are worried though, download http://www.iantivirus.com/

-Omi

7. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I'm not sure what imail is, do you mean your Mail program or something else? It's very common for a spammer to send an email to you with a sent address being from you also (to try to prevent you from identifying as spam). If things are getting automatically sorted into folder, then maybe that's why it shows as being sent from you.

8. Skydiver32 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for the replies.
    I'm using Mail (I assumed it was iMail such as iCal and iPhoto).

bcaslis, I think that is exactly what has happened.

I downloaded Avast from Apple's site and I'm running it now -- Just in case.

The funny thing about Avast is that it has placed 2 warnings on its own program. It's about 70% done, no viruses but a bunch of warnings.:rolleyes:

It has also found several small files that don't belong to anything. How would I go about "defraging" those files?

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You don't defrag on a Mac. Just ignore them or delete them.

10. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Go ahead and just delete Avast. Sounds rubbish.

Welcome to the world of no more virus scans, no more defrags, nothing like that.

If your mac acts funny, there is usually a quick easy fix that doesn't require all this weekly maintenance virus crap that windows needs.

-Omi

11. DJTHEFUNNY macrumors member

haha. fame. But Im Actually Willing To bet That If You Made Something That WOuld Cause It To Do Something Like.....idk.....Restart Every 15 mins, but make it delete-able, people would love you

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Self-executing spam-botting code exists for OS X. You only need to visit a website. Mark my just-experienced-it words.

13. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

While it is true that there are no prevalent malicious programs for OS X, the statement that there are none is incorrect. There are but a handful of viruses that have reached the wild for OS X but none have had any success propagating through the net.

Here's one: http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_138578.htm

14. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

If I made a malicious program for the Mac platform, it would delete all plists (can you do that without admin authentication?), mute the sound, empty the trash, rebuild the Spotlight index, make itself a login item, and then shut the computer down every 15 minutes, without warning. I think most of this can be easily done with AppleScript.

15. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

Also: gmail = webmail, so possibly the virus isn't on your comp, but someone cracked your account.... Change your password?

16. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Yeah I kind of get annoyed when people scream that there are no virus' for macs. There are virus' for everything, including your iPhone's.

17. DJTHEFUNNY macrumors member

isnt Objective C A Pain To Write In? Why WOuld People Waste thier Time With Writing Viruses For An iPhone?

18. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

Um... No? That's a warning that gmail shows when a message comes from a reported phishing source, it is not a virus as has been discussed. It also does not mean that someone has cracked your account, spam happens to everyone.

@ DJ: it's not funny, in fact it's annoying. ;)

19. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Yeah but, as with every other OS X "worm/virus" thats out right now, you have to authenticate as an admin. Even if you are on an admin account you'll need to re-enter your password (like if you were doing an update). If some dummy runs FUNNYPICOFYOURFRIEND.jpg and it pops up a freaking terminal or an authentication box then its up to the user to have the common sense that you don't need admin access to open preview, as with every other jpg.
    You can't even sneeze on a unix box without root.

TS I usually look towards your responses as truth (since its been that way for some time now), but I need to see this code for myself. I've just-got-to-experience-it because it sounds interesting.

20. John89 macrumors regular

21. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Can I get it for my PC? The desktop needs a good cleaning

22. Furax macrumors newbie

There is one virus I know for mac... it's called Windows :p

23. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

Browser helper objects or java script malware can attack any platform via the browser. Visiting an infected website is how this happens. Usually, when you close the browser, the malware is gone. It is persistent under windows because of OS architecture.

24. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I was linked to a website, but I forget the address. When I opened it, it was blank, but I saw the QuickTime logo flash up for a split second. After that, Mail opened itself and opened a bunch of draft messages. Terminal also opened itself and dozens of windows there opened. I never caught what was in the Terminal windows because my Spaces would fly back to Mail every time a new draft was created.

Little Snitch knew something was happening, so it popped up with the standard window asking what to do with connections from the IP address 1.1.1.1. I tried to click Forever/Deny, but I wound up having to hard restarting the computer. I had to restore my Mail database when I restarted and I found 13 draft messages in my drafts folder. Luckily none had anyone's address in the "To" field, so I don't think they were sent.

25. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

That's interesting. Can you remember where you got that link from? (Maybe from email, so you can find it)