I have a weird idea (8gb iphone for 4gb iphone)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pugple, Mar 2, 2008.

1. pugple macrumors member

So, I had this weird idea today. I don't usually use my iphone as a music player except when I'm driving long distances. Since I already want to upgrade to the 3g one when they come out, I was thinking of unlocking and selling off my current 8gb iphone and buying a refurbished 4gb iphone. Unlocked iphones go for about $450-500 last I checked and a refurbished 4gb iphone can occasionally be bought for about half of that.

Whenever the newest 3g iphone comes out, I would sell my 4gb iphone and get the 3g one. Does this make any sense at all?

I guess what i'm looking for is the best cost effective way of having an iphone right now while also knowing that when 3g iphones come out, i WILL be upgrading. Ideas?

2. AMoeini macrumors member

AMoeini

You might make one or maybe two hundred off selling the 8GB right now and getting a refurbed 4GB. It would be better selling it now rather than later IMO because everyone's going to be selling theirs once 3G comes out. It's not the most practical thing to do, but if it works out I would do it. Good luck, let us know what you choose.

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

just curious where you are going to get a 4gb refurb phone? apple.com does not have any on their site

4. pugple thread starter macrumors member

I've seen them on the apple store site a few times and with that recent memo with the 4gb iphones at ATT, would try to get one there.

Would there be any problems ATT contract wise with swapping down from 8gb to 4gb? I know if you go from 8gb to 16gb there's no problem.

Alternatively, I could just offer a flat out trade with someone with a 4gb phone for my 8gb + cash.