I have an 8Gb flash drive, but its useless on my MBP?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vader1990, Dec 14, 2008.

1. vader1990 macrumors regular

hi,

I just bought the new late 2008 mbp, and I absolutely love the thing. The only problem that I am having is that I have large video files--.avi, and .mkv--and I'm trying to put them on my flash drive, which is 8GB, while the files are about 4 or 5GB, but the macbook won't read the flash drive if its in NTSC, but if I put it in fat32--which the mbp can read--then I cannot put those 5GB files on the flash drive?

Is there any way around this, because this is kinda frustrating, because I cannot move those files off my mac hard drive.

currently I did this though bootcamp and using that partition in vmware fusion, but that's kinda annoying...

please help, thanks!!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Format it as HFS+?

Either that or download MacFUSE and NTFS-3G to get write support in OS X.

3. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

/applications/utilities/disk utility

Select the drive, goto the erase tab, select the top option that's not journaled.
    [​IMG]
    Make sure there's nothing on your drive important, erase does erase it all.

Once its HFS, you won't be able to use it on PCs, only macs. If that is a problem, you can make a second partition on it with HFSexplorer on it. Make a FAT partition as small as you can. 8MB is plenty big. Download the ZIP version on that page, unpack it, stick it on the new FAT partition. Now use that to read files on a PC. It can't help you to save on it though. HFSexplorer is a read-only utility.

4. vader1990 thread starter macrumors regular

Will that allow me to read that flash drive in windows then? Or will it be permanently be locked into being read only on macs??

thanks

5. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

See above edit. It will be read only in Windows only thru HFSexplorer if you format it HFS, unless you buy Macdrive for about $40-50.

Or like TS said, you can install macfuse and then install ntfs-3g, followed by a restart of your mac. You can then format it NTFS, and use it in your mac and windows no problem. But not other macs, uness they have those two pieces of software installed.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Hmm, weird. I just bought 2 Sandisk 8GB USB flash drives and I can read and write between OS X and Vista. In OS X I just drag n drop any files on to them. In Vista I can read and write to the disk without any change of formatting and vice versa.

7. vader1990 thread starter macrumors regular

That's probably because the flash drives are formatted as FAT 32, so as long as each individual file is below 4GB, the flash drive will work perfectly in both windows and OS X, but if you try to move a file larger than 4GB on your 8GB flash drive, it will not let you because it cannot allocate that much space to any ONE file!!

So, if you don't have files greater than 4GB or something, then you're fine :)

8. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I thought the limit was 2gb files, but yes this is correct. Because FAT is a rather old format it cannot store large files on it because that wasn't an issue when it came out, however, as it is the only format that can read/write with Mac and Windows there's not much you can do to get that large of a file from one to the other with a flash drive. A limitation of the format and not necessarily Mac or Windows. A solution to this is to find an app that can separate compressed files to a size lower than the limitation of FAT and then to re-combobulate them on the other end. On whichever side you start on, I'm fairly certain there is an app on Mac that you can find that can work with separated .zip, .rar, and .sit files easily enough.

If the PC you have isn't too old then you could burn a DL DVD with the Mac (up to 9gb I believe) to put on the PC. I think any DVD player should be able to read DL DVD's just fine, it just depends on how old the optical drive is on the PC and whether or not it likes burned DVD's in the first place.

Weird that you mentioned that the Mac can't read the drive when it's formatted NTSF because I know that Mac's can read NTSF but cannot write to them. As the Mac can't write to NTFS it cannot format to that either, but if you do that in the Windows side and plug it in on the Mac it should let you copy the files over but not copy files to it (because the New Technology File System is.... newer, I think that's how Fusion/Parallels format the Windows side and is what's required to use Bootcamp correctly). When I was trying to format a flash drive in Windows I couldn't actually figure out how to add a partition (drive was useless) to it as NTFS (it would format the drive, but there wouldn't be a volume to mount on either side).

If you are doing it correctly, then don't be surprised it might take a few minutes to mount on the Mac side if not at all. Head over to Disk Utility when the drive is on the Mac and select the flash drives volume (the item listed underneath 8GB SAMSUNG FLASH or whatever) and click the MOUNT button at the top.

Also, as a note, when you format a flash drive, it might be easier to do on the Mac side if something goes wrong. Do not just go to the Erase tab but head over next to it in the Partition tab. When you change the Volume Scheme pull down menu to 1 partition (or whatever), it will unlock the rest of the options in the window, and allow you to change the partition map scheme (through the Options button at the bottom) to Master Boot Record (MBR) and then change the Format pull down menu to MS-DOS (if something weird happens, that option will correctly reformat the flash drive to its original state read/writeable by both systems).

9. timothyandrew macrumors newbie

timothyandrew

Why don't you just use FAT32, and split your videos into <4GB files using something like BetterZip?

10. Sawtooth811 macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

Try Erasing and re-formatting the flash drive in disk utility, and yo can also verify/repair and see if it's corrupted. I had a flash drive that was corrupted after a year of not being used, so I had to repair and erase the old data on my flash drive. Try in different formats also like Mac OS Standard or Extened (Not Journaled).

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Because then it couldn't be played off the drive; you'd have to copy and unarchive in order to play the movies, and you'd also have to have an appropriate archive utility.

Way to read the thread, well done, very good.

This should work just fine. I'd suggest formatting to NTFS, personally. Since this is the only Mac you'll be using for write actions (yeah?) it shouldn't present a problem.

12. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Isn't HFSExplorer read only? At least that was my impression from reading the project home page.

Formatting as NTFS and using NTFS-3g on the Mac is what I do.

If you're transferring files to another Mac that doesn't have NTFS-3g, you'll be ok, since OS X reads NTFS fine.

13. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

14. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

15. Sawtooth811 macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811