iPod touch I have an 8GB iPod touch 4Gen, but in settings, it says it's capacity is about 6GB?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
After formatting, there's about 7.6GB. Then iOS partitions it into two partitions. One for the OS and the other for the media and other things.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
After formatting, there's about 7.6GB. Then iOS partitions it into two partitions. One for the OS and the other for the media and other things.
Oh okay. I thought similar but I never thought of Partitioning lol. It's the same if I partition a hard drive in Mac OS X or Windows where it thinks that the drive is that big with the partition. (Unless you check out System Profiling on either OS)

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Yea, it is deducting how much ios takes up
It used to be much smaller. I remember back during iPhone2.0. It weighs at 200-300 MB. Now iOS 6 for iPad3 is 1000MB, for iPod touch is 800MB.
Make sense, there are more features.

Major.Robto

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
well also rember that 8gb is not 8000mb

nothing ever is the size it says it is because of how the rounding goes.

Plus the touch does have a small partition for the OS

Rocks.

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
Nope you need 2.4gb to install iOS 6 OTA :)
No you don't. It only requires 2.4 GB of space if you download and install on your iPod itself. If you download via iTunes and install with via USB, it doesn't take up that much at all. I think it has something to do with downloading the iOS onto the device, then removing the old portion, so you need extra space? But once it's all finished, the iOS does not take 2.4 GB (i updated my iPod touch)

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
No you don't. It only requires 2.4 GB of space if you download and install on your iPod itself. If you download via iTunes and install with via USB, it doesn't take up that much at all. I think it has something to do with downloading the iOS onto the device, then removing the old portion, so you need extra space? But once it's all finished, the iOS does not take 2.4 GB (i updated my iPod touch)
It takes that much because it has to download the install file, extract it, install the packages, and then remove the install file.

(My best guess.)

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Yeah but we're thinking more people would just update OTA. I never use the cable anymore :p