I have an Airport Extreme and Expess - WDS question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mmoran27, Jul 7, 2007.

1. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

Apple told my friend that he could extend his network wirelessly (Not through ethernet) and keep the G clients separate from the N clients.

I don't see this as possible. If I log onto the Airport Extreme and look at wireless clients it shows only the Airport Express access point.

If I log onto the Express, it shows all clients connected. The extreme is set to N only clients.

Why aren't the N only clients (Both my laptops, AppleT), connecting to the Airport Extreme and not the Express?

2. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

The Airport Express does not yet have support for "N" and is still on the "G" standard.

edit: It took me a few reads to truly understand the problem here. so:

All your wireless devices are connecting to the Express instead of the Extreme despite having set the Extreme to N only?

3. mmoran27 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know but that is what it looks like from the wireless clients utility.

If I unplug the express the macs are still working (I don't know if they switch back to the N router).

So maybe they are on N but the wireless utility is incorrect?

Any one have any ideas. How can you tell you are on N and not G?

I would like to know if using this configuration truly separates N & G clients to their respective routers.

4. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I think what is happening is that the computers are connecting to the strongest source of the network (in this case the express) and thus are clocking down to G.

Basically, if G speeds are not a problem for you, don't change anything. If you rely on the N speeds for real time transfer or streaming of a lot of data, then maybe its time to move the Extreme to a more central location or even buy a second one?

good luck with this one

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I don't think you can use WDS and still retain n only speeds for the extreme. Are the two routers connected by ethernet cable?

6. mmoran27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Update-

They are now showing up on the correct router (N), but the data rate says 130 for the N clients.

What should the data rate be for N clients (The Wireless Clients tab also lists the data rate).

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

what wireless client sftware are u usein? im interested...or does the new airport utility have it built in??

its still draft and 130 seems to be the max of what people can get on these forums.. there are a few cases where its faster but im not completely sure

8. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I have a Extreme and an Express in WDS mode. The Express is used to add both Ethernet and USB printers to my wireless net. If I set it to N mode only the Express disappears and the Extreme complains that its expected WDS remote can't be found. I just set the Extreme to n/b/g mode and don't worry about it. I still get 130 Mbps connections.

You can always tell which WAP you're connected to by looking at the Base Station Id in Internet Connect.

But I am hoping Apple updates the Airport Express to N. Then I'll set the whole affair to N only and see if performance improves (as I have two USB drives on the Extreme).

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

130Mbps looks like mixed mode. Thats the best you'll get with an Express and WDS.