I have an airport problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Chutch74, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Chutch74 macrumors newbie

Hi and thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Here is the situation:

I moved in with family who have a PC and router (Netgear) through charter (cable provider).

However I've had an iMac g3 450MHz for the past 8 years and it still works fine..except..

The OS is 10.4, and I seem to have a problem connecting to internet with wireless. Apparently somehow the original airport software was deleted. I did purchase an airport card and adapter and successfully installed that.

However my problem is getting airport software back on my Imac. I tried installing Airport 3.1 however my computer insists its already installed so it won't install the airport software. But a search confirms that there is no airport any longer on my Imac.

In any case, I'm not able to get on the internet.

Please help.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. Chutch74 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion.

I do have internet now, and while I did take your suggestion and reinstall Tiger, apparently the problem was my computer just didn't want to recognize the Airport card w/adaptor even though I'm positive I put it in right. So I guess I had a bad airport card or something.

Anyway, what I did do was hook up a USB netgear wireless device that my family used for their PC before, and while I didn't think it would work, doing some research I found I could use it, all I needed was a certain driver.

So I have internet now. Thanks for the suggestion, however.