I have an iBook G4, will it run Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SgtDuty, Sep 19, 2007.

1. SgtDuty macrumors member

Its has...
    1.2 GHz PowerPC
    256 mb
    I am waiting to get the new MacBook Pro, but untill then I would like to use leopard.

2. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

If you add some RAM it will be fine. Even if it supports 256mb of RAM it wont be a pleasant experience.

3. SgtDuty thread starter macrumors member

How should I do that? I have never upgraded a mac or a pc for that madder

4. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

Order a 1GB stick of RAM from Crucial and install it in the slot under the keyboard. There are guides on MacFixit that show how to do all sorts of things on various models including the iBook.

5. TimJim macrumors 6502a

upgrade ram even then it will probobly be shaky.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

How do you know Leopard will run on a G4? Apple hasn't released the system requirements yet.

7. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Really? I thought the specs had been released and only G3 was excluded? Or it might be that continuing the pattern of previous releases G4 would be included.

Either way I think it's safe to assume that Leopard will work on the OPs' iBook, but adding RAM is a must.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Pre-release docs said 867MHz G4 + Firewire was the minimum.

9. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

It will after you stick a minium of 1gb ram in there

10. SgtDuty thread starter macrumors member

does anyone now what the maximum amount of ram is? Also will the processor speed really make it not even worth getting the ram?

11. pscoble macrumors 6502

The cap for the 1.33 Ghz iBook was 1.5 with 512 MBs of it being internal. I would suppose the cap for your system would be 1.25 GBs. I would make sure to do that too. Good luck.

Sorry double post please delete.

12. pscoble macrumors 6502

The cap for the 1.33 Ghz iBook was 1.5 with 512 MBs of it being internal. I would suppose the cap for your system would be 1.25 GBs. I would make sure to do that too. You processor speed is fine it should be fast enough....aahhhhh this is making me think about my old iBook I miss it....:(

13. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

On your machine, I think the max RAM is 1.25 Gb. There is a 256 MB RAM chip soldered to the main board, and there is one expansion slot which will recognize up to a 1 Gb sticke of RAM.

As far as the processor, the upgraded RAM will make it feel like a new machine--it is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to upgrade a computer.

And based on pre-release requirements, I would think your iBook will run Leopard, and if you upgrade the RAM, it will feel like a whole new computer.

Bob