I have an idea: android or ios and where to start?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by jsf8x, Jun 9, 2011.

1. jsf8x macrumors 6502

jsf8x

Hi. I'm a current high school student and have an idea for an app. I have basic programming skills but nothing with app building/creating.

As a summer project however, I would like to expand on an idea of mine and create an app out of it. The few questions I have are whether I should build for android or ios? I have devices that run both so that is not a problem. Also, once I choose which operating system to build for, are there any popular sites or books that teach you how to code for said operating system.

thanks in advance

2. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Hiya,

As you've found your way to this particular forum, most people here will tell you iOS is the way forward ;o) it's certainly my choice anyway.

There are a couple of books you should have on hand: Steven Kochan's Programming in Objective-C 2.0, and also iPhone 3 Development by Jeff LaMache - both fantastic books.

There's also iTunes U where numerous university lectures on iPhone development are available free of charge. Check out the stickies up top - you should find some good info up there.

Good luck!

RTP.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. jsf8x thread starter macrumors 6502

jsf8x

Thanks but the mobile webapp isn't really what I was looking for.

I think I'll go with iOS seeing as that is where I will get the most help here. Other than the two aforementioned books. Can anybody recommend any good beginner guides to creating an iOS app?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You would be surprised at how much can be done in HTML5/JavaScriot.

Apart from that, I often recommend "Cocoa and Objective-C: Up and Running" by Stevenson as a real quick way to get your feet wet in Obj C. For some it's a quicker place to start than Kochan.

I do recommend using Kochan and/or Hillegass at some point.

B