I Have An Idea On How To Fix/Help The Antenna Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Project-79, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Project-79 macrumors 6502

Project-79

So, according to wikipedia ([URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iphone_4#Design”]here[/URL]), the antenna issue may be caused by an ungloved hand touching the two antennae, bridging the signals between the two (previously separated) stainless steel antenna. If this is true, then I may have a theory on how to fix/help the issue.

[​IMG]

In theory, if you turn off bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and GPS, this should help the GSM signal from being disrupted by an other signal. Obviously, if this works, it’s not a long term solution, because people still need to use these features.

I’d try this myself, but I don’t have an iPhone 4 yet (live in Canada). So, if any of you have the antenna problem, please try this and tell me if anything changes. I’m curious to see if this works! :)

2. draz macrumors 6502a

3. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

Don't think you can really turn off GPS. Correct me if im wrong.

4. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Actually, I haven't heard anyone else reporting this, but so far I've only been able to duplicate the problem when wi-fi is off.

If wifi is on the issue completely disappears for me. Weird?

5. ds111 macrumors member

No, doesn't work. Was able to go from 4 bars to 1.

Your theory wouldn't work because you are bridging to circuits that still contain electrical currents even though all of the features of the 2nd antenna (on the right) are turned off. Bridging the two would short-circuit the antenna and cause the signal to drop.

In addition this problem, there's also just the basic "hand blocking" signal problem that ALL phones have (see Apple's antenna performance page)

6. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

Im not sure this is a viable fix.

reason being; you are still bridging an antenna with another therefore changing the way an antenna works. it really doesn't matter if the antenna is bridged with a random piece of metal or another antenna that receives a different signal.

what i'm curious of is: while on wifi, if you bridge the antenna does it change the way or the quality of the wifi signal?

7. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

Yea, I tried it when all these threads popped up.

8. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

what about the other end of the antenna? you know, the gap at the top...does that provide the same results?

9. ds111 macrumors member

No, because as you see in the pic the OP posted, you are bridging two negative polar points, which doesn't short circuit it.

10. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

there are two antennas, each independant of the other. Both have a beginning and an end. There is a black spacer to separate them on the outside of the phone...one is at the top and one is and the bottom left of phone. I know the one on the bottom is bridgable to create a signal degradation, but i was curious if the same is the result of bridging the top. has anyone tried this?

edit: i'm just curious to see if one end of the antenna is a bit more sensative than the other.