All iPads i Have an iPad 2 problem, need some advice.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PracticalMac, Oct 7, 2013.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

About 12 days ago my father (most likely culprit) updated his wife's iPad 2 to iOS 7.
    (I know the day because, cant recall where, but I had a date stamp).

...AND he forgot the 4 digit password (besides the fact he does not remember updating, short term memory issues.)

So, yes, locked out, iPad Disabled, etc.

Unfortunately their iMac is old, cannot install iTunes 11.1, refuses to even look at the iPad!

I have the iPad 2 with me now, and do have a PC and Mac I can use, considering my options.

Q:
    Is there a way I can restore without loosing all the data? (I have their AppleID, but I do not have much hope of that)?
    Can I restore it at all (will disabled PS lock me out of recovery?)

I tried iFaith, not much help there.

PS, I did not update iTunes for iOS 7.

Thanks.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Is it too much to hope that your parents had an iCloud backup?

Also, you would need a computer with the latest iTunes, otherwise it isn't going to recpgnize a device on iOS 7.

Once you have the latest iTunes, I suggest you connect the iPad and try a DFU restore (google for how).

If the DFU works, and your parents had a iCloud backup, then you can restore from that backup. If they didn't have a backup, then I'm afraid their data is lost.

And DFU restore might not work if your dad had Find My iPhone on... Hopefully if it was on, you can override it with their Apple ID password. Hopefully.

3. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I set up iCloud on iPad, and it is active.
    (I actually was able to sync the photos while locked)

They also have an iPhone 3GS.

Basically you are saying use WiFi to keep the sync, dont worry about hooking it up?

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What? I didn't say anything about wifi, what made you think I was talking about that?

No, what I said was connect it to a computer with the latest iTunes with a USB cable, do a DFU restore, and hope that your parents have an iCloud backup you can restore from.

Here's an article about how to do DFU. It's for iPhone, but the procedure is the same on an iPad.
    http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

If the DFU restore works, then unhook it from the computer once restore is complete, and start setting it up over wifi, and look to see if you can find an iCloud backup.

5. AboutThisMac macrumors member

On their iMac, can you not go to;

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync

And simply copy the last backup into the same folder on your Mac?

6. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

You think it will restore all the content to a restored iPad iOS7 on a different computer?

I will try it, thanks.

BTW, the "~" means User directory? (yes, I could look for it, want to get it fixed quickly.)

7. AboutThisMac macrumors member

Just Shift+Command+G in the finder and copy the entire line into the directory.

(~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync)