Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GKDAIR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
Phones, Ipads, tablets, etc. are gaining technology rapidly fast.

The new ipad is already stronger than an xbox 360, and ios is currently the 3rd best selling gaming platform, right behind the ps2 and ds.

Nvidia said mobile graphics will be stronger than consoles by 2014, and with some of the games I play on my 4S, I believe them.

Ngmoco also did a good 30 minute presentation on the subject. I haven't watched it yet though.

I mean some mobile games are just insane with the amount of content they pack, and they are getting closer and closer to console like experiences. I think within 5 years we will see a takeover, not just from apple products but android too.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
Its inevitable. More people have portable media consumption devices (iPod touches), tablets, and phones than consoles. I give it a year or two unless Microsoft is able to really work their tablets into the Xbox platform

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
If you can beam your mobile device to a TV and get 1080p+ as well as have a gamepad and not touch controls then... sure it's very possible.

But don't think for a second we'll all be trading in our Xbox 720/PS4's for a 4-5" screen anytime soon.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
It won't. The best games are already done, and either won't translate well to touchscreens or licensing won't allow it. Pokemon won't arrive on iPhone even though it would sell very well because that's nintendo's baby. Capcom won't bother porting megaman battle network because, well, capcom hasn't made many good decisions since Inafune left. RPGs would translate well to touchscreen, but that market is very small anymore since nobody wants the equivalent of an interactive book anymore.

Prove me wrong! Let's see xenogears or legend of dragoon on iOS!

GKDAIR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
It won't. The best games are already done, and either won't translate well to touchscreens or licensing won't allow it. Pokemon won't arrive on iPhone even though it would sell very well because that's nintendo's baby. Capcom won't bother porting megaman battle network because, well, capcom hasn't made many good decisions since Inafune left. RPGs would translate well to touchscreen, but that market is very small anymore since nobody wants the equivalent of an interactive book anymore.

Prove me wrong! Let's see xenogears or legend of dragoon on iOS!

We already have Grand Theft Auto 3, Chrono Trigger, Aralon, Max Payne, Mega Man X, Bards Tale, Order and Chaos, Infinity Blade 2, Modern Combat 3, N.O.V.A 3, and plenty of other console games I can't even begin to remember. And ALL of those games have good controls.

Oh and I realize not all of those are console games but they all have graphics on par with consoles.

Last edited:

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Megaman X on iOS was terrible! Megaman 2 was okay, just okay. Megaman legends might be good if capcom would acknowledge its existence. -angrytiesel.aiff-

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
We already have Grand Theft Auto 3, Chrono Trigger, Aralon, Max Payne, Mega Man X, Bards Tale, Order and Chaos, Infinity Blade 2, Modern Combat 3, N.O.V.A 3, and plenty of other console games I can't even begin to remember. And ALL of those games have good controls.

Oh and I realize not all of those are console games but they all have graphics on par with consoles.

Yes, consoles from 10 years ago. Just because there are more people fiddling with Angry Birds for 20 minutes on the train doesn't mean people are going to throw away dedicated gaming systems.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Nah. Steam and Xbox Live is too strong for Console and PC gaming to out of fashion. In fact, I find it is on the rise.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Yep, I'm gonna trade in my 360/Gaming PC for a 4 inch screen and PS1 graphics.

Makes total sense.

----------

Phones, Ipads, tablets, etc. are gaining technology rapidly fast.

The new ipad is already stronger than an xbox 360, and ios is currently the 3rd best selling gaming platform, right behind the ps2 and ds.

Uh, no. An 360 has FAR more powerful hardware than an iPad.

Nvidia said mobile graphics will be stronger than consoles by 2014, and with some of the games I play on my 4S, I believe them.

New consoles will be out by 2014.

I mean some mobile games are just insane with the amount of content they pack, and they are getting closer and closer to console like experiences. I think within 5 years we will see a takeover, not just from apple products but android too.

No we won't. Most " gamers " won't settle for ****** iPhone and iPad games.

----------

Its inevitable. More people have portable media consumption devices (iPod touches), tablets, and phones than consoles. I give it a year or two unless Microsoft is able to really work their tablets into the Xbox platform

Which they will, the Windows phones are already intergrated into the 360

And until Mobile devices can have hardware as good as a dedicated console or PC, won't happen

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011

I would only consider the controls in most of those games good by touchscreen standards. These controls simply don't hold a candle to a proper gamepad. With the shooter games you have to constantly toggle your thumb between aiming and shooting, since there are no shoulder buttons to facilitate the latter action. The lack of a tactile d-pad makes it harder to pull off precise jumps in platformers.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Not gonna happen unless they raise the pricepoint of games

Right now mobile is just a budget market.

And hardware doesn't matter as much as people think it does. Nintendo has proven this every generation.

GKDAIR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
This is to be expecting, look at all the posters raging at me right now.

Well no duh new consoles will be here by 2014.

But if you remember 5 years ago we didn't even have the iphone, and now we have games like Infinity Blade 2.

Everybody knows consoles are stagnant, their tech doesn't change for 5-7 years, depending on how long the consoles are around, and in that time, tech is getting better, and smaller.

People who aren't blown away by the games we have on the ios platform are just in denial, thats it. The very fact that we can play Grand Theft Auto 3 on A FREAKING PHONE should be enough.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
This is to be expecting, look at all the posters raging at me right now.

Well no duh new consoles will be here by 2014.

But if you remember 5 years ago we didn't even have the iphone, and now we have games like Infinity Blade 2.

Everybody knows consoles are stagnant, their tech doesn't change for 5-7 years, depending on how long the consoles are around, and in that time, tech is getting better, and smaller.

People who aren't blown away by the games we have on the ios platform are just in denial, thats it. The very fact that we can play Grand Theft Auto 3 on A FREAKING PHONE should be enough.

I'm not raging but do you really understand what it would take to kill the console model? HW tech has little to do with it. It's all about having games the same quality or better. They're not gonna be able to do that on mobile, not while it's a budget market.

B777Forevar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
Chicago, IL
I would rather game on a DSi/3DS or PSPvita than on a iDevice or Android device any day of the week. Phones just don't live up to the experience as real handhelds.

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
OP is full of too much fail. If anything, gaming systems are gonna get bigger, not smaller: Imagine the floor, ceiling and walls as 3D screens while you sit in a Formula 1 simulator. Handheld gaming will blow in comparison. Did I forget to mention the 16 channel surround sound?

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007

The first claim is false. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360 , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad). I also suggest reading this article that talks about leaked 720 specs/rumors and what the next gen console will be capable of. I think too that as technology advances, consoles will start putting out newer generations consoles more rapidly than in the past. This would also depend on game studios putting out games more quickly as well. This is all speculative, as is saying mobile phones will outperform consoles by 2014.

The second claim could be true if comparing mobile graphics in 2014 to current consoles in 2012. Although I still really doubt it would happen because the amount of heat produced by consoles would melt a handheld device without some sort of fan.

If you're only talking about a money race, then perhaps yes, mobile gaming capital might surpass console capital, especially considering there are 6 billion cell phone subscriptions in the world as of 2011.

Last edited:

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I would only consider the controls in most of those games good by touchscreen standards. These controls simply don't hold a candle to a proper gamepad. With the shooter games you have to constantly toggle your thumb between aiming and shooting, since there are no shoulder buttons to facilitate the latter action. The lack of a tactile d-pad makes it harder to pull off precise jumps in platformers.

Exactly... touch screen have a long ways to go before they can match physical buttons and controls. I've tried paying with those touch screen buttons. Ugh. Almost as frustrating as trying to be Hussein Bolt the 100m in QWOP.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
DS/Wii and 3DS.

GameCube was more powerful than the PS2/XBOX/Dreamcast...
N64 was more powerful than the PS1/Saturn, etc...

Put the original Gameboy in there too. B/W vs the color Lynx and it still won

Same with the NES vs the Sega Master System. Same with every 4th gen console vs the Neo Geo

It's all about the games, not the hw

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Put the original Gameboy in there too. B/W vs the color Lynx and it still won

Same with the NES vs the Sega Master System. Same with every 4th gen console vs the Neo Geo

It's all about the games, not the hw

To be fair the Sega Master System did come out almost two and a half years after the Nintendo Famicom. In fact Sega's very first console, the little known SG-1000, was released at the same time and is generally considered inferior to it. (running basically the same hardware as the colecovision IIRC)

Last edited:

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
To be fair the Sega Master System did come out almost two and a half years after the Nintendo Famicom. In fact Sega's very first console, the little known SG-1000, was released at the same time and is generally considered inferior to it.

In the American market, the gap was less than a year. Most of these console generations take place over several years anyway. IE Dreamcast released, PS2 released a year later, XBox released a year later, etc

My point is games matter more than tech specs. History has shown it. So people arguing iPads are gonna kill consoles because they have comparable hardware are ignoring history.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.