I have enough to buy one of these two...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ClemTiger0408, Sep 14, 2009.

1. ClemTiger0408 macrumors 6502

I have enough money right now to buy either a Apple Airport Extreme or Apple TV, now that the price has dropped.

Pros and Cons of each

Apple TV
    (+) Boxee
    (+) Tons of file support (due to Boxee)
    (-) I already stream media with Xbox 360 (with limited file types)
    (-) feasibly Boxee support could go away

Airport Extreme
    (+) Networked Hard Drive support
    (-) Already have a decently working wireless router (without N and without HD support)

It might look like I am leaning towards the Apple TV, but I really am in the middle here. Both would be replacing something that already works, so I'm looking for the best upgrade for the buck.

Based on this, what would you recommend? Biggest question, if I have an Xbox 360, would the Apple TV w/ Boxee be enough of an improvement in the streaming media department to warrant the upgrade?

2. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

Apple tv all the way [​IMG] my motto is, if a network is working LEAVE IT lol... (I have a bad history with networking) and to be honest, the benefits of a network won't really warrant the price of the device whereas the apple tv will... More are more supporting things are available now for it and I reckon soon it will be the thing to have

3. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Wait for the WDTV-2 and stream with that (it'll have network support) and supposedly fairly cheap ($140?).

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

5. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

If it isn't broken, why fix it?

You may want to wait a bit on the :apple:TV. The 160 GB is the only model and the price has been slashed. Looks like :apple:TV Take 3 is on the horizon.

6. mahen macrumors member

+1
    I am waiting for Apple to update :apple:TV