I have entered the Apple world

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SuperComputer, Sep 30, 2009.

1. SuperComputer macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here on the mac rumors forum- I am a recent mac switcher, moving over to a PowerBook G4 from my HP notebook.

I have to say that the whole experience has been breath taking. The build quality of this computer is far superior to anything that I have ever had the joy of using in the past :)

I hope that I grow to know you all, as a community, as a supportive network and hopefully as friends.

All the best
    James

2. johnrs macrumors 6502a

Welcome.

I made the switch about a year about and boy do I wish I had done it sooner.

Just waiting to see if the current rumours are true before I buy an iMac. just sold my MBP to get one.. :D

Have fun

3. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

Welcome to MacRumors, I'm sure you'll enjoy life here, most people are quite friendly.

Congrats on the purchase!

4. tooz macrumors 6502

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Welcome and congratulations! Don't hesitate to ask questions and you can PM me or add my MSN if you need help :cool:

6. SuperComputer thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! :)

I'm certain that I'm going to fall even more head over heels in love with this platform than I already am. The functionality, simplicity and elegant design really do trump anything else available on the market.

Everything is just really feature rich. A spell checker built into the OS rather than into applications, so no matter where I type I'm covered! It's just perfect.

Hope to see you all soon.. considering posting my brand new setup in the images gallery- we'll see!

James

7. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Hey have fun with your new mac, i also switched from a HP laptop :)

8. SuperComputer thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have my IM services up now. My AIM screen name is janalow751695968 :)

9. flakes8 macrumors regular

flakes8

Welcome, I am making the switch at the end of November I Can't Wait. Everyone on this Board has been very helpful Especially HellHammer !!!:)

10. Michael7k macrumors member

I will enjoy you new Mac. Don't pay attention to the friends and family that give you are difficult time about switching. There just jealous.

Michael

11. MTI macrumors 65816

These "switchers" . . . they're so cute when they're new. You just want to hug 'em, no? :D

12. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Yep, welcome to the forums :) Some great people around here, and you'll really enjoy what OS X has to offer over Windows (I still have it on my Mac, but mainly just to keep up with the tech side of things...I'm in OS X like 99% of the time :))

13. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Hi SuperComputer!

Welcome to the world of Apple.

I switched about a year and a half ago.... and wishing I had done it much sooner.

Everything I own from Apple, I like! It's all really great stuff. Odd, you'd think that something would be awful or at least not so great.

Don't be discouraged if you run across some problems, they're bound to happen.
    Also, don't let the gigantic chorus of naysayers get you down with their endless tirade against Apple.
    They're just Jealous! :D

Have Fun,
    Keri

14. Greenman85 macrumors regular

OH man

Switched in June, bought a 2009 MBP. What the hell was doing these last ten years without this glorious machine?

15. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

16. Bagot69 macrumors member

I am also a new Mac user got myself a 2009 MBP in August, still have a Pc as i wont let the kids or other half near my new baby! + Look forward 2 all future developments!

17. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Congrats with your switch.

I was though a little bit amazed that you were so happy with a laptop that's already on the market for a while. Especially when you read this; http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=794592
    A guy that thinks his 2000 dollar new macbook pro is worthless cause he didn't figure out there's also a Serius app.

18. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

i just hope you know that by investing in a powerbook, unless you only plan to do simple things like email/browsing etc, you are pretty limited as to what you can do as most serious applications are now intel only. plus your g4 has one of the worst bus speeds ever lol.

19. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

HA, nice...that's a particularly funny thread :)

20. SuperComputer thread starter macrumors newbie

I am running OS 10.4 on my powerbook, it's great!

Yeah, thanks for asking- I have found all of the replacements necessary for my new machine. I'm using a lot of cross platform software; vlc, filezilla, microsoft office, firefox, etc- but I'm also using mac alternatives for my old PC software; adium for IM, iTunes, mail, iCal, etc- it's great!

21. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Wise move not letting the other half near it. I like to protect mine! LOL

22. rekhyt macrumors 65816

James-Welcome to the world of Mac. :) What I love about this forum is that it's actually not a forum where people compete for "rep" but it's actually where people help each other, discuss, ...

I got my Mac in... June 2008, I think. ... actually 2007. Or was it 6? I got it 3 years ago, I think. Never looked back. :) ... Ok fine. I did, but I use OS X (Mac) daily now and rarely use Windows.

Why? :) I prefer a MacBook Pro but I don't really use it as a desktop, I admit.