i have finally called it a day with the 27"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by frenchie0101, Jan 9, 2010.

  1. frenchie0101 macrumors 6502

    Jul 3, 2009
    ok so some will know i started the hard drive noise thread and ended up returning so many times. After going the online route and opting for the 2TB (which has been alot better) i have now suffered with screen flickering etc. After receiving my new replacement 2 days ago week 00 or 02 i immediately noticed horrible background bleed and a very strange white orb at the top right corner.... So after 9!!!! different 27" macs i have now called it a day. I am getting my money back and afraid to say back to windows until i can see a REV B come through with all the problems solved
  2. lexvo macrumors 65816

    Nov 11, 2009
    The Netherlands
    I can fully understand your reasoning. I think I would give up after the 4th or 5th exchange or so. This post is so in contrast with the thread started by Robotkiller (he got a good 27" in his 4th exchange).

    I have the yellow tinge, but my 27" is perfect for the rest. So I decided to wait until Apple has sorted things out.
  3. hakr macrumors regular

    Jan 18, 2009
    Western shore, Chesapeake Bay. Maryland
    The problem is, there's no way to tell when or if the damned flickering problem will appear. For some, it didn't show up for several weeks. I agree about the yellow tinge, though...if you only have a bit of it or if it doesn't otherwise interfere with your use of the machine, waiting for apple to come out with a "fix" is probably a smart move.

    But the flickering...it's a time bomb.
  4. mdewberry macrumors regular

    Aug 20, 2003
    Hi Frenchie0101, I am with you... 4th iMac was it, and am returning it for a refund.. Hated to do it, but waiting for the next revision to see if they can work some of these hardware issues out...
  5. sparkie1984 macrumors 68020

    Dec 20, 2009
    a small village near London
    im gonna have to take my 2nd back and im considering taking it back for a refund.

    those who are on their 4th machine fair play to you, theres only so much carting around through packed shopping centres in london that i can physically do!! plus sooner or later im gonna get mugged for it!

    im wondering if the mac pros would budge down in price at all as id probably go for one of those instead. or i may just max out a normal pc with the money! who knows yet!!

    anyway i think you should give apple a chance or maybe 2 but you shouldnt have to keep exchanging units on the off chance of getting a new one
  6. wesleyh macrumors 6502

    Mar 23, 2007
    Perhaps you should try the repair route instead of the replacement route? I would think that they would check the new HD / new screen in repairs before putting it in to see if it does not exhibit the same symptoms.
  7. mdewberry macrumors regular

    Aug 20, 2003
    Y'now, I considered that option, and if Apple was making the statement "we know what the issue is, and an LED panel swap will resolve the issue" I would more than likely keep the machine. However Apple has been silent, and there are a few theories out there (including heat issues) that may make resolving the issue more complicated. Also some have mentioned Apple may write this off as a cosmetic issue.. Again, all theories but for my peace of mind I would rather get out of the replacement cycle, sit back, keep up with the threads here and wait until Apple resolves the issues with these machines. MacRumors timeframes point the next revision Aprll/May, I will most likely jump back in at that point and take advantage of any speed bumps.

    The other issue with my iMac (which I posted on another thread) is you can't just wake it up and open apps/internet immediately.. I wake the iMac up, the screen comes up, but until I hear the fan/hum rev up and hard drive wake up (takes about 10-20) seconds, nothing opens up from my application tray at the bottom of my screenwhen I click on them. If a Safari window is open, the internet will not connect immediately either.. Minor annoyance, but again, tells me that there are issues.. My 6 year old G4 powerbook still allows me to launch an application/Safari session immediately upon waking...

    I am usually very conservative about buying brand new technology, but was so darn excited about the new iMac I couldn't wait.. Guess I learned to trust my instinct!
  8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
  9. mdewberry macrumors regular

    Aug 20, 2003
    Sorry, probably wrong terminology.. I meant the new update/speed bump.. would that be Revision B?
  10. HLdan macrumors 603


    Aug 22, 2007
    Can't speak for the rest of your problems but the white orb certainly is not one of them. That's a visual hot corner. Can be easily enabled by accidentally pressing a certain key combo. Can be just as easily disabled as well. This is an example of the wrong info being generated on the internet making others think there's more wrong with the iMac than it really is.
  11. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

    Oct 17, 2007

    When you get your refund for your 27", have you thought about getting a refurbed 24" instead of a windows machine? I don't know about the availability of 24-inchers on the UK site, but I'd consider that as an alternative to a Windows 7 PC.
  12. frenchie0101 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jul 3, 2009
    I gave my 24" up for the 27" I would go back but really not sure yet, I'm just going to rest my mind for a while and give it another go in a few months, it has crossed my mind to go for a mac pro with the 26" screen but that screen may just have the same problems.... But as I say I'm just going to take a back seat for now

    No it's something else it's noticable when the screen goes blue on startup, then on dark backgrounds, I would say it's like a really strong cloud effect... Plus I'm not stupid I think I have masses of experince to know if it's software related or "hardware" related
  13. steadcd macrumors member

    Mar 26, 2008
    Birmingham, UK
    I'm giving up too, for now

    Initially I thought things couldn't be too bad but afraid I think they are. Got a 21.5 for my parents, definitely yellow in the middle but quiet hdd and they didn't notice, more hassle for them to change than me tell them about something they won't notice.

    Made me worried about getting a 27 but got it after Xmas anyway, week 49, screen pretty good yellowish at sides and bottom right but very mild and satisfactory to me but also had dead pixel, 8 dead pixels in iSight and noisy seagate.

    Exchanged for week 46, much yellower, chipped keyboard, lots of dust/debris under plastic wraping so unsuprised when 2 smudges under glass casting shadows on screen. Few dead pixels in iSight, had wd hdd which was a lot quieter. If I could put the good bits of the 2 together would be ok!

    This will be a great machine but I vowed only to try 2 machines so getting refund tomorrow and will try again in a month or two. Never returned anything before, g5 still going, White MacBook both been perfect so I think there is a problem with a significant proportion if 27s.
  14. BigBagaroo macrumors member

    Nov 29, 2009
    Getting my 3rd 27" next week.

    If this one doesn't work out, I'm done with the iMacs for now. I ordered my machine in november last year, and I was planning to do some work on it, but now we're probably approaching an update of the range in a few months time, and I still don't have a fully working 27" here.

    Really annoying, I hope some heads in the QA department are rolling.
  15. HLdan macrumors 603


    Aug 22, 2007
    Dude, no need to be nasty about it. Nobody's calling you stupid, how the heck do I know what your experiences with computers are? Obviously you came to this forum, for either help or just to tell us that you're fed up with your iMac due to issues. I try to help people whenever I might have an answer and 9 times out of 10, it's user error and there's no shame in that but don't jump down my throat, all you said was there was a white orb in the right corner of your screen and that explains the hot corner orb, you were not specific on what it was.
  16. harleygold macrumors regular


    Nov 1, 2009
    have you thought of getting a 21.5? It's not the most powerful iMac but its trouble free. At least mine anyways. I bought mine the first week they came out and I've not had any issues what so ever. its been flawless. :D

    Good luck
  17. Editor- macrumors member

    Dec 13, 2009
    I find it outreageous that they still are silent about it really. Seriously you can be very stubborn but this is by far not how you should threat your community.

    Man do I get pissed off when I think about it.

    I feel sorry for you man, but am happy that I quitted after my first one. One question to everybody, how do we actually know when the REV B product will be out? Does Apple announce stuff like this, or should we just guess?

    Too bad Frenchie, really feeling for ya..
  18. OllyW Moderator


    Staff Member

    Oct 11, 2005
    The Black Country, England
    What will be referred to as the Rev B will be released the next time Apple updates the iMac range.

    If Apple manage to fix the problems with the current iMac range before the next product update, it's very unlikely they will make any announcement as they have not publicly acknowledged there is a problem in the first place.
  19. frenchie0101 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jul 3, 2009
    Soz man I think it's the other way round. It's you what bassicly jumped out saying that it's nothing to do with hardware and that I'm reporting something which affects other people into thinking there is nothing wrong when there s something wrong hardware wise. My quote is not to be aimed at jumping down your throat which it is not ( I think ur a little sensitive) my aim is to extinguish what you think in-which is actually a wrong piece of Information so people can follow all problems. You could of asked me for accurate
    information before bassicly saying it's user error. Sorry if you feel disshearted of what I said I seriously wasn't aimed at you in a horrible way lol
  20. ABG macrumors 6502

    Oct 5, 2003
    United Kingdom

    I know everyone loves Apple for swapping machines so easily, but I have better things to do with my life than the admin around swapping machines potentially over and over again. Just taking delivery the first time was a PITA.
  21. bossxii macrumors 68000

    Nov 9, 2008
    Kansas City
    YA! Like all hours wasted on forums bitching out it! Who has time to swap machines damnit!
  22. MJD Dawg macrumors 6502

    Apr 27, 2009
    Junction of the Pacific, Juan de Fuca & NA Plates
    I second this. My week 44 3.06 with 4670 purchased the week before Christmas from the Apple store is flawless...for now. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some yellow tinge, but I'm not going to test for it. Sometimes I even think I see some yellow in a part of the screen, but then it's gone when I change the viewing angle, so I'm probably just imagining things with all the talk of yellow tinge. Otherwise, no flicker, no dead pixels, quiet seagate HD, lightning fast. I'm just really enjoying my first mac experience. Coming from a lifetime of windows pc's, this thing just oozes quality.

    Good luck to everyone.
  23. MJD Dawg macrumors 6502

    Apr 27, 2009
    Junction of the Pacific, Juan de Fuca & NA Plates

    Sorry to hear this sparkie. I feel for you. Hope it works out. It's a damn shame though that this is what it's come to. Luckily, mine's been fine to this point. Btw, have you dug out of the snow yet?

  24. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

    Sep 25, 2004
    If you recall the MacBook Pro nVidia graphics card issue - they took a long time to acknowledge the issue. However, they did acknowledge it - refunded customers their money for replacing the cards (out-of-warranty) and extended the original warranty of the machine by 2 years (or was it 1?)

    So they'll take care of this issue as well. It just takes them a bit long to ascertain the problem (they have to be 100% sure of what's causing this)
  25. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

    Mar 31, 2008
    It takes relatively little time to ascertain such problems. The time-consuming part is getting any third-party supplier to acknowledge material and financial responsibility for any problems, to agree to whether something is in spec or not and stump up the cost of fixing it. Perhaps it is a connector (provided by a fourth-party) that is the cause of the problem and not the screen itself. The blame-game might continue for quite a while. If there are screen problems, the supplier is going to have to show that sufficient quantities of decent replacements can be provided (and timescales) before Apple can announce any replacement program. The supplier and Apple might have insurance hurdles to go through too, plus any number of other legal obstacles. They don't spend millions and then discuss who is going to pay it afterwards. They have finance directors and lawyers to satisfy as well as technical boffins! The screen manufacturer might absorb all material costs, but be unwilling to cover the costs of servicing the repairs. Negotiations will have to take place to see where one company's responsibility ends and another's begins. The third-party manufacturer might want to spread the loss over the length of the contract, rather than pay in one go. It all needs agreeing up front.
    Even after all that, any specific repair or replacement program of any substantial size needs to be planned and initiated at the highest level and communicated in a way that is most efficient and cost-effective, and least damaging to the company in terms of PR etc.
    Anyone who thinks this is something that happens in a couple of weeks is dreaming.
    Of course, this always assumes there is an on-going problem. After three days, my replacement i7 has no signs of problems whatsoever and is a fantastic computer... so far.

Share This Page