I have fixed my proximity sensor and can make calls without hanging up/muting etc

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by theinsomniac, Jul 5, 2010.

1. theinsomniac macrumors newbie

I have fixed my proximity sensor and can now make calls without hanging up/muting etc.

I was having severe problems with the proximity sensor on my iPhone 4.
    During calls my ear was hitting mute, end call, face time etc.

Today I had the hardware replaced at a retail store and restored a backup.
    The problem remained.

Then I read a post on this site suggesting resetting the network settings and thought, why not, Apple had no fix.

Before I started I tested and recorded that the proximity sensor required my hand to be about 5mm above the sensor before it kicked it and blanked the screen.

Then I used Settings/General/Reset/ Reset network settings.

After this the proximity sensor worked at about 3cm under exactly the same conditions.

I have continued using the phone including setting my wifi password which had been cleared.

I have no more problems.

This wont clear everyone's problems but:

As it takes 30 seconds and doesn’t wipe your phone, give it a try before sitting on the phone to Apple, driving to the Apple store etc. Besides they don’t have a fix yet.

My testing pretty much proved that for me, changing hardware didn't help but a configuration change did. Therefore even though other users may have other setting, which in combination with a complex bug mean this fix doesn't work for them, it is a software bug in some cases, probably most. So Apple should work this out in the end and post an update to the OS.

If this fix doesn’t work for you and you want to do something, test your sensor by starting a call, leaving the speakerphone off and putting three fingers over the top of the phone covering the entire phone above the screen.

If the screen blanks when your hand is close but comes on when less than a couple of centimetres away, then see if a software fix helps. Take a backup and then wipe the phone and then retest.

Let us know your results here. It may help others, including Apple. And they need a little help testing but find me a developer that doesn't. :)

Good luck.

2. nosser macrumors regular

yup this worked on both mine and my wifes iPhone4.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sounds like it was the reboot that fixed it, not the reset of network settings (can't even see what the would have to do with the proximity sensor).

4. theinsomniac thread starter macrumors newbie

I would think it was the reboot that fixed it rather than the reset of the network settings. I still have not seen the problem reoccur and in the mean time I'm rather enjoying having a phone I can talk to people on.

Next person with the problem that reads this please test as described, try shutting down the phone and testing again first. And PLEASE let us know your results. You might help a few thousand people like me from driving to the Apple store for a pointless hardware swap out.

Sounds phones have finally truly become small computers.

Support: "Have you tried switching it off and on again?"

5. warrena macrumors member

warrena

I have performed the reset and shut it off/on several times and my proximity sensor is still too sensitive. It seems to be more sensitive to slight movement or requires to be closer to my ear to work correctly. I have solved it by holding my index finger on top the phone and touching my ear with my finger so the phone does not move. Still have problems if I try to hold it with my shoulder, etc. and the phone mutes, speakerphone, or sends mail. I did not have this issue with my original, 3g, or 3gs phones. I think the sensor being above the earpiece is part of the issue.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I had the problem earlier.
    I was on the iphone 4 earlier and must have hit the mute with my face.
    I tried the restart thing and seems like it shuts off a little further away now. I have to wait and see how it works.
    I also never had that problem with all other 3 previous model iphones.

7. hariustrk macrumors member

So now the iPhone is like a windows computer, just reboot it or wipe it and start fresh to fix your problems (for now).