Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
1.) Turn off Push email and notifications.
2.) Turn off 3G and Wifi when you're not using them.
3.) Turn screen brightness to 50%.

By doing this, my phone lasted me 1 day, 6 hours, and ~39 minutes. I am jailbroken.

Make sure you calibrate your battery, etc.

(image was taken as soon as phone turned back on from dying)

(e) added another image for those who may be skeptical

I get that with a 3G. You're impressed with that?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009

Well, I expected the 3GS to get twice my battery life (something like 10 hours).

Ok, this isn't your laptop/notebook battery, so why would we want to calibrate our iPhone battery? "The iPhone uses a Lithium Ion battery and they don't have a memory, so this does nothing for them.":confused::eek:

Apple says nothing about calibrating your iPhone battery:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305742

Sure they do. Someone will give you the link, I'm too tired to find it right now.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

See the bottom of the page:

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Jodlesx

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
I thought that with Litium-ion batteries you *didn't* need to "charge the battery to 100% and then completely run it down"? I believe Apple says this on another page; that what's best for these batteries is instead many small charges. This concurs with what I learned in chemistry class. :D

There was a thread here on the forums discussing Apple's two different statements, but I couldn't find them now...

-bender-

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
miles from nowhere
Something else to consider, I had the same battery problems as most of you did since I restored from a backup. When I updated to 3.0.1 it seemed to have fixed the problem for me. I am now regularly getting about 6 hours of use with Push email on, wifi enabled on and off throughout the day and brightness set just below the "B"

just wanted to let folks know this might be a possible remedy for some.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
no one cares. seriously.

Actually, many of us do care. Whenever I see one of these semi-literate posts ("of" for "have," "there" for "their" and vice-versa, improper use of the possessive), I immediately assume the author has nothing of interest to say, nor intelligence with which to say it.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Actually, many of us do care. Whenever I see one of these semi-literate posts ("of" for "have," "there" for "their" and vice-versa, improper use of the possessive), I immediately assume the author has nothing of interest to say, nor intelligence with which to say it.

+1. True, but sometimes their (tempted to put there :) ) posts add value, so you have to try to decipher what they're writing.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
holy_grail_660.jpg

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
I care, actually.

It's not like we're trying to nitpick. If you're well educated and read/write things besides text messages on a regular basis, mistakes will begin to jump out at you.

I'm very well educated and I don't care. It's not an english lit forum but a mac rumor one! I like to use grammar most of the time, but I don't expect, or care, what anyone else does as long as it's readable.

Finally, does anyone's level of education really matter? Should we start limiting the forums to graduates only??? :rolleyes:

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
I'm very well educated and I don't care. It's not an english lit forum but a mac rumor one! I like to use grammar most of the time, but I don't expect, or care, what anyone else does as long as it's readable.

Finally, does anyone's level of education really matter? Should we start limiting the forums to graduates only??? :rolleyes:

Yes!!! j/k :) (or maybe not)

samcraig, your newpic is messed up on my computer.

greenpaz

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2009

Poor grammar is particularly an issue these days, when everybody blogs but nobody seems to edit. It's so annoying to read articles with copious grammatical errors. Posts on message boards are messy -- that's part of their (or "there" -- ha!) charm. But if I'm reading a post, and it's hard to tell whether or not the writer's first language is English, I just skip it.

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
Poor grammar is particularly an issue these days, when everybody blogs but nobody seems to edit. It's so annoying to read articles with copious grammatical errors. Posts on message boards are messy -- that's part of their (or "there" -- ha!) charm. But if I'm reading a post, and it's hard to tell whether or not the writer's first language is English, I just skip it.

I would make a clear distinction between publications, whether they be blogs or articles and traffic in a forum. The former I expect proper grammar, the latter I do not.

@ iphone.aggie :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.