Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
Despite what I've written elsewhere in this thread, I really am perplexed by Apple. I don't know why they can't just be nice to (a niche of) their users. Preferably support Nvidia hardware, but at the very least not obstruct it.

One more thing: the Macbook Pro 2013 's got a nVidia GT 750. Yes, its 5 years old; but a laptop in the 3500 bucks range should not be obsolete by now. Which it kind of is, since stuck in High Sierra

Reactions: bsbeamer

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
One more thing: the Macbook Pro 2013 's got a nVidia GT 750. Yes, its 5 years old; but a laptop in the 3500 bucks range should not be obsolete by now. Which it kind of is, since stuck in High Sierra

This is entirely off topic and I'm not sure what you are on about. Apple includes an NVIDIA GT 750M driver in MacOS, you do not need to install the separate drivers for it to function. The same thing applies to the GTX680, one of the few NVIDIA cards still natively supported by Mac Pro's in Mojave.

The problem with Mac Pro's is that subsequent generations of NVIDIA graphics cards drivers are not included in MacOS, ergo the need for 3rd party ones from NVIDIA.

Reactions: bsbeamer

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
This is entirely off topic and I'm not sure what you are on about. Apple includes an NVIDIA GT 750M driver in MacOS, you do not need to install the separate drivers for it to function.

Not true. The provided driver does not support CUDA, its therefore a crippled thing that does not really allow usage of the device as intended.

As said above. Its possible to install Mojave, yes. But its lacks required functionality due to missing CUDA support and is therefore for a large fraction of use cases useless

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
APPLE officially supports an extremely limited number of GPUs for Mac Pro 5,1 with Mojave. Decision and directions are really simple: either use what APPLE wants/recommends, or stick with your High Sierra setup. It's not the answer 90% of the people on this forum want, but it's reality.

Until there is actual clarity on the 7,1 most people appear to be willing to kick the can for now. There's rumors of a class-action lawsuit against Apple for anticompetitive practices related to this. Let's see if this NVIDIA web driver issue is magically resolved before that happens.

AFAIK, Apple officially support even less GPU in High Sierra.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I have been a Mac user and FanBoy since 1986. Up until now, I have NEVER been FOUR iterations behind the latest OS - NEVER in over THIRTY years. Wow, how things have changed thumbsdown.gif

Lou

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I use rx 580...for fcpx...very good. I had grx 680 prior to it...and i don’t miss it anymore.

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
But, but... but dark mode! :p

That was the main reason I upgraded to Mojave tbh. I thought I'd love it, but in practice found it ugly. Even Finder windows just feel heavy and oppressive. The constant switching from general darkness to blinding brightness every time you open a blank document or webpage doesn't help either.

Stacks are pretty cool though.

Reactions: thornslack
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.