I have had my Apple Pencil replaced 5 times in 4 weeks...

Milese3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2014
Southampton - United Kingdom
About three months ago I purchased an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil. I am a student and so use the iPad and Apple Pencil to make notes etc. Just over a month ago my pencil stopped responding entirely: it would appear connected connected under bluetooth, (almost) fully charged on batteries, yet when I put it to the screen it would be totally unresponsive. Naturally I tried all the online suggestions but had no success. I eventually ended up going to the Apple store; they replaced the pencil and I assumed I was just unlucky. A few days later my new replacement pencil started having the same issue; I returned to the store and had it replaced... this happened 3 more times. It is certainly an issue with the pencil for whenever I visit the Apple store my faulty pencil is tested on one of their iPads...

My pencil has just broken for the 6th time and I am about to return to the Apple store. I rely on the pencil everyday and so am very unhappy with the product which is, in my experience, almost always defective.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?
Tired of just receiving a faulty replacement, what should I do next?

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Let Apple solve the problem while both the iPad and Pencil are under warranty.

februarian

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2014
Call me weird but your past life karmic debts are resulting in you not being able to use the pencil.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
Let Apple solve the problem while both the iPad and Pencil are under warranty.
I second this idea. There don’t seem to be very many people experiencing your problem. Allow for the possibility that there’s something unusual wrong with your iPad that’s affecting your pencil.

When my first pencil was about 9 months old it began dropping the connection to my iPad several times a day. I brought just the pencil Into the store and while they replaced it they really wanted to test the iPad also.

One more idea - if you have access to more than one apple store try a different Genius Bar.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
How are you charging the pencil, on the iPad, or external charger, is that charger official Apple charger ?