I have insomnia and the iPad isn't helping

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wesk702, Sep 12, 2010.

1. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Anybody else?

Can't put this thing down, even when I watch tv

2. Jasonscott71 macrumors member

Jasonscott71

Yes. But I don't have an iPad. I'll just respond from the insomniac point of view. I find that being anywhere near a monitor makes it hard to sleep for a while. Having a computer (or iPad) would be terrible close to bed time. It's far worse than being 10 feet away from a television.

I used to love tapping away at my laptop until it was time to pass out, but unfortunately that only works when I take Ambien.:p

My rule to combat insomnia is to turn off the computer (or iPad) 2 hours before I want to sleep.

3. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Defiantly! Much harder to get to sleep if used straight before I try to get some shut - eye

4. karatekidk macrumors regular

I made myself not have my ipad by my pillow at night. When I actually had it, I just couldn't help turning it on in the middle of the night!

Also, it's gotta be really bad for your eyes to look at that bright screen in the dark...

5. PrestonCrawford macrumors member

Wrong answer. The correct answer is. "I agree, the iPad is so miraculous that I want to stay awake 24/7".

You gave an adult answer.

Seriously, though, I appreciate what you said. Too many people (be it gamers, software developers or gadget junkies) don't realize the process your brain goes through playing games, staring a lit screens, etc. You have to unplug and unwind before going to bed.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Humans are not nocturnal...we are designed to set our body clocks to the rise and fall of the sun. Unfortunately, Mr. Edison invented the light bulb, and the "artifical sun" messes with our body clocks. Any bright light (TV, monitor, iPad, etc.) before bedtime fools your brain into thinking it's day. So ge the above out of the bedroom, dim the lights in the evening, read a book or listen to music. Then go into the bedroom for sleep.

7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

That's a great advice. Though I don't mind having an iPad with me in the bedroom. I'll just plug in the headphones and listen to some soothing music.

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Word of advice: once you take ambien go right to bed. Don't check something quick or read anything on your iPad. You'll end up posting like a drunk and chatting random people. Take it from someone who's done it:rolleyes::eek: but anyways I have insomnia as well, read a little bit tell you get bored with MR and put your iPad/phone facedown or if you have a cover like me cover it so if the screen decides to blast on in the night it won't destract same goes for the phone with a txt. Also turn the volume off, you have no idea how many times a received txt on my phone or a new email on my iPad has alerted me right as I start to fall asleep. Hope this helps..

9. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Two words: Angry Birds.

:eek: :mad: :D

10. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I find that if I tinker with the iPad in bed playing games, checking MR forums, or reading RSS feeds, I stay up much later and then have trouble falling asleep.

What works for me is curling up on my side reading a novel on my iPhone 4 with the iPad put away. I launch Stanza, which has a nice "night mode" and turn the contrast way down so it's dim grey text on a black background. The dim screen seems to help me fall asleep faster, one "nod-off" and the iPhone goes onto the nightstand charger with the iPad.