I have it !!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tex-Twil, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    so I have been waiting to write this post for 7 moths !! This is my 1st post ever from a OSX. I recieved my new unibody MBP toady and this starts my OSX life.

I was a PC (Linux/Windows) user and I've just switched.

Usually pple here ask what are the 1st steps to do but since I've been reding this forum for 7 months I kind of collected bookmarks and apps and steps to do :)

BUT: the 1st thing that annoys me is that the screen is kind of strange. There is a very small variation of brightness all the time. Like kind of almost unnoticeable blinking !

cheers,
    Tex

2. Crash1234 macrumors regular

Is it possible that the screen thing you're talking about is due to the ambient light sensor? When I first got mine I thought there was something wrong with the screen b/c sometimes when I moved the laptop the brightness would change, but then I figured out that there was a light sensor and the brightness of the screen changed according to the light in the room you're in.

3. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

congrats! i did the same thing prior to buying my first mac. collect tips and programs to use.

check your ambient light sensor settings in system preferences/display. a few people have had the same issue and that is the culprit. i guess!
    you also may want to calibrate the display profile.

good luck!

4. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

5. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I desactivated it so I will see.

Can't I have a little "welcome to the OSX world" ? :) This is what people usually answer to this kind of thread. :p

6. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

7. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

8. RKpro macrumors 6502

Congrats!

I switched last Friday myself :D

the screen brightness variation is the light sensor, it annoys me too so I control mine manually. If you like, you disable it from System Preferences> Displays >uncheck Automatically Adjust Brightness

9. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Welcome, I hope that it's the first of many Apple products. It usually starts with an iPod then a iTunes account that you try not to continuously download the top 100 songs from. Next thing you know it's an Airport Express or Extreme that you have to justify to your significant other and the iLife 08 that will let you send email galleries of that embarrassing road trip. Lastly, the newly released 24" Cinema Display that will complete your presentations to your neighbors. My name is tcphoto and I have a dependancy on technology.

Good luck and enjoy

10. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

11. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

12. deriko100 macrumors 6502

13. polar-blair macrumors regular

WELCOME !!!

I cant wait for my new MBP to arrive, this will be my third mac, gets addictive ;)

Hope you enjoy your new machine and are happy with the switch over.

14. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Thanks for welcoming me :)

So far (after 3 hours of usage) I'm enjoying a lot. I did the basic app installation and I think I will try bootcamp now to run some 3d mark tests ;)

15. workerbee macrumors member

Welcome all of you switchers!

(But: is it really necessary to bootcamp (back) within 3 hours? Really?!)

16. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

no it's not and I haven't done it. I"m planning to use the MBP for gaming so I'm looking forward to test the performances, that"s all.

17. frijec macrumors member

18. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

I'd say I feel your pain.... but I really just don't.

I think if it's your first time using a Mac you should go back to System 7 and toy around for a few months first :D

19. moclippa macrumors member

Hey Tex, Congrats on the new laptop man thats awesome?

Was yours a TNT shipment? Did your Apple Delivery Status page change to update you?

20. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

No it was a UPS carrier. The tracking on USP.com was quite accurate. The one on apple.com was slow to update.

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Switchers starting off with MacBook Pros. Pa-fooey! Whatever happened to gently easing in with a Mac Mini or a Macbook? Y'all go all tarrrrnation and get yerself some fancy-dancy awesome notebook and yer gonna blow a fuse after being all Maccifed.

In real words, I bought a Mac Mini five weeks before they added the Intel processors into them. So I get a 1.5GHz G4 instead of about a 1.7GHz Core2Duo. Did SOMEONE feel a little jilted?

So I got a MBP last year. Did an Xbench test last night on both this and an iMac G5 at about the same clock speed. I think the only thing the iMac won on was hard drive speeds (7200rpm beats 5400rpm, duhhhh).

You all got yourselves good machines (aside from the glossy!!!!). Keep searching around on here for random stuff you can download to make life better (HandBrake, OpenOffice, MetaX, etc.). May you never have to know what the F this is again:

C:/>