I have just bought an SSD - few questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phospholipid1, Sep 26, 2014.

1. phospholipid1 macrumors member

Hi, I have bought a Crucial CT240M500SSD1 240GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive for my macbook Pro mid 2012 13" model. I have taken the laptop apart and removed the harddrive so it's all ready to be installed. I have a few questions:

1) Would this SSD be fine with the laptop?
    2) I do not need to backup anything so after I install the SSD how do I reinstall OSX?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

1. Yep

2. If you install then do command-option-r at startup that will get you to Internet recovery where you can format the drive with Disk Util then install the OS. However, this will get you the OS the machine came from the factory with. If you want Mavericks, you will need to make yourself a Mavericks USB key installer before you swap out the drive.

3. phospholipid1 thread starter macrumors member

Could I not install the OS the machine came with, then upgrade after im booted up?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sure... that will work fine. Once you are up and running you can just DL and install Mavericks over top of what's there if you don't want to mess with making the USB key and all. Not a problem.

5. phospholipid1 thread starter macrumors member

Great thank you :)

6. meson macrumors regular

For what it's worth, I was on Yosemite Public Beta when I upgraded my drive. Using Internet recovery wouldn't let me restore from Time Machine. I had to go back to Mavericks (OS shipping when I bought mine) and then upgrade to Yosemite Public Beta. All went smooth other than having to wait through 2 OS installs.

Enjoy the upgrade, it turns these machines into a whole new beast. I couldn't be happier with my choice at this point.

7. Joeboch348 macrumors newbie

Joeboch348

how to transfer my old HD to new SSD

Hi Guys,
    1st post.
    My laptop..mid 2012 macbook pro. 500gb hd 16gb ram. works perfectly. I just feel the need to make it faster. I've replaced a few crashed hhd drives for guys but never had the option to transfer off the old hd. Always purchased with all software preinstalled.
    I am buying Crucial M500 2.5 inch 960GB SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive CT960M500SSD1 (unless someone has a better drive to recommend).

I have a 1tb external I use with time machine as a backup device. I have a few programs word 11, powerpoint, excel I'd like not to have to repurchase them. Plus obviously all my documents, music and photos.

What's the best way for me to just transfer everything over to the new ssd.
    Thanks

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Upon installing the OS, you'll be promoted with an option to restore from a TM backup. Use that.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Pop in the new drive then attach the TM disk and option key boot to it. That will get you to a recovery screen where you can use Disk Utility to format the new drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Util and click restore and the OS and all your data and apps will get moved over.

Then shutdown and unplug the TM disk and startup to the SSD. Now go to System Prefs and in the Startup Disk pane select the new SSD as the boot disk.

The MS apps will come over, but almost always the MS apps will see they are on new hardware and make you reregister, so you should be prepared for that.