I have LG Viewty, should I get iPod touch as well?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by alebar14, Oct 9, 2008.

1. alebar14 macrumors regular

alebar14

Hi Guys,

My Dad gave me LG Viewty (LG KU990) cameraphone as he can't use much its bells and whistles. Well things I like to use LG Viewty:

1. FM Radio

2. MP3 player, but sadly it can't view album artworks for AAC format

3. Can watch video files. I prefer the sharpness and color saturated of .MP4 format than its DIVX format. The .mp4 format video appears to be a little bit jagged compare to divx format

4. 120 fps Video recording only! (The 5 megapixel sensor for photo capabilities is sucks big time compare to my old compact Kodak CX300series 4 megapixel!)

5. Java Games that I can download for free elsewhere.

6. Occassionally, I can quick-check my Gmail.

7. I like to do a quick Memo, Alarms, Organize things (to-do-lists), and calculate my grochery shopping lists.

8. And of course using its bluetooth, I can upload or download files via both devices (my LG Viewty and my MacBook Pro).

It's so tempting looking at the iPod Touch! What I like about iPod Touch:

1. It's GUI interface and the handsome look of iPod touch.

2. The usable interactivity of accelarometer, etc. for games, photo browsing, web browsing, Music playback, and video playback too!

3. Unique VOIP phone capabillities

4. Updated Applications all the time through iTunes.

Not all the time, LG Viewty takes sometime reading files from its memory card to read photo files or video files. (I use a 2GB kingston micro SDHC).

One other thing that annoy me, in New Zealand, there is no free WiFi. So I will not be using Wi-Fi.

Should I buy this baby or just hang on to my LG?

2. alebar14 thread starter macrumors regular

alebar14

3. Pixellated macrumors 65816

4. Shagrat macrumors 6502a

Shagrat

I don't know the Viewty, but I was slightly concerned that you listed VOIP as a plus factor for the Touch.

It doen't have an inbuilt microphone, as such. My 1st Gen certainly doesn't.

There are ways apparently of adding on an external mic. "dongle", hardly the most practical way of gettign sound into the device!
    See THIS for instance.

2nd Gen Touch WILL work with external headphones with a mic...see THIS. And of course the other caveat is that VOIP will only work via WiFi.

Apart from that, i love my iPod Touch, movies look great on it, and it's an all-round fine music player, which will nowe run loads of apps from the iTunes store.

Hope this is of some help!:)

5. only macrumors regular

lol this sounds like such a reach, it's like praising how well a knob turns.

anyways, it sounds like you've already made up your mind, so just blow your money on an ipt already.

6. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Well the ipod's an mp3/video player and the Viewty is a phone so why not get both? I have a 1st gen touch and i bought a Dare the week they came out

7. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

Sounds like you want a iPhone ;)

But, yes, the touch is a great device. If you want it, and can afford it, go for it.

8. alebar14 thread starter macrumors regular

alebar14

I do want an iPhone. But considering LG Viewty is a gift from my dad, I am not sure to buy between iPhone and iPod touch. "Carrying 2 devices? Oh No!!" :)

9. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Hi alebar14, I hate to hijack your thread, but I have a question you might be able to answer. How has it been getting photos off the Viewty and into iPhoto? Do you have do drag files manually in the finder or does it show up properly as a camera?

10. alebar14 thread starter macrumors regular

alebar14

Hi there!

Yes, I have to drag the photo files manually into the finder. The iPhoto does show up only my .mp4 video files. Then once the photo files are on my finder, then I can drag'em into the iPhoto.

Hope this helps.

11. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

I have both the viewty and the iPod touch.

But, I don't really use the viewty as anything other than a mobile phone (mostly calling and texting) and don't see any blurring of function between the two.

Pretty much every function that both devices do, the iPod does way way better.

12. x Danny macrumors member

I have both Viewty and Touch, my Viewty is simply for my ringing and texting.. and the fact I can take pictures, I have some music on there but don't really listen to it.. My iPod is also with me, I'll always have it with tons of music and videos on and I love the design and interface.

13. alebar14 thread starter macrumors regular

alebar14

Thank you. I think I prefer iPod touch. :cool:

14. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Lol thats cool.

Personally, if I got anything touch it would be iPhone, not iPod touch。

Next best thing is to you use my good phone as it is, and an iPod classic for trips and stuff when I need a lil more music the 1gig

15. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Thanks for the info! I've head that iPhoto expects photos to be in a folder called "pictures", but the Viewty calls the folder "Images" and that's why the transfer won't work. There's an applescript somewhere that changes the name, of the folder, does the transfer and then changes it back. It's doesn't sound elegant.

Does the Vietwty allow you to change the name of the photo folder, or choose where photos are saved to?

16. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

Full operationability of the touch pretty much requires internet connectivity. Unless you do have wifi at home, there's little reason to get the touch. Without the internet, the touch is not much more than a Nano.

17. selena12321, Oct 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014

selena12321 macrumors member

It depends totally on you if money is no isssue you can enjoy both.

18. Jameshrcairns macrumors member

Get Iphone

Well what I've done is bought an iphone 3g and given my old lg viewty to my sister, she likes it cos its loud and im happy cos i have an iphone!
    thats if you can afford to give away your lg viewty to a relative!

All the Best:apple:

19. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

No wifi and you should forget it. 50% of the Touch's initial apps use it and are worthless without it. There is no Bluetooth or FM. If you're looking for a touchscreen game device then maybe.

20. Roadking macrumors 6502

I have a blackberry that was purchased by my employer for me as well as the monthly service charge. I added a micro sd card with photos and some mp3's on it. It wasn't enough for me and I couldn't justify to myself to purchase an iphone when my cell phone was already paid for.

So I just purchased the ipod touch. I was worried that I would wish it was an iphone...not so much so. I have been really enjoying it. I got the 32gb so I can put a bunch of movies on it and have a little library in which to choose what movie I want to watch on a flight.

Good luck.

21. Gyrferret macrumors regular

Gyrferret

Yeah. Buy an iPod Touch. From my expirience, I used to have a RAZR, then got an iPod Touch for christmas ('07). However, I got an LG Dare, and as a result, use my iPod as essentially a method for listening to music in my car.

But, it is a good investment if you essentially want a PDA....... good stuff....