I have "lpmxp2141 . com" VIRUS!!! Please HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NelipotGypsy, Sep 3, 2014.

1. NelipotGypsy macrumors newbie

I have researched everything I can from my phone concerning how to get rid of this internet pop-up virus.... But none of the things I'm seeing are for MAC! All for Windows/Chrome/Firefox users!
    No virus scanner can detect it, and supposedly no pop-up blocker can reject it.
    I took my computer down to geek squad, and of COURSE the pop-up didn't come when they looked at it.

WHAT DO I DO?!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try running this adware removal tool and see what it finds. Also look in Safari preferences under extensions and see if there are any new extensions there you do not recall installing.

3. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

This is a craftily disguised malware phishing scam, dude.

He's trying to get people to click that link.

It leads to a malware site.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I think we have to give them the benefit of doubt as the live link was added by the forum software.

I've deactivated the link so can we please keep future replies on topic with advice of how to remove this malware.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What link are you talking about? There was no link in that post when I replied to it. Are you referring to the .com part in the title?

6. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

I think he is referring to that address in the title. Going to that site in Firefox reports that it's a web forgery. Ignoring that warning shows just a placeholder page with no interesting content (even in the source code).

7. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

When this was posted the link in the title was an active hyperlink, but it has since been disabled.

I'd assumed that the poster did it deliberately, since they have one post here and registered this month, but I could have been too hasty to assume malicious intent if the forum software automatically makes links clickable even in the thread title.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ah I see... I think that is what happened.