Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have 2.1GB available on my phone, trying to install a 1GB app, says I don't have enough space. iPhone 5 jailbroken on 6.1.2.

What gives? And before you say it's the jailbreak, I doubt it because I've been jailbroken for years and haven't encountered this problem yet.

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2013
The 1GB is the download size.

You need an additional 1GB+ for the app to install.

Some apps when installed take up 1.6 GB so you need a total of 2.6GB to download and install.

You will get back the 1GB download space after when it's installed though.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
I believe the issue is that during the install, the original file is still needed for extraction. Meaning you will need double the space available to do the initial installation and after that the original file will be deleted to free up half of that space.

LastOneToKnow

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
East Coast, USA
On a related note...
I've encountered a similar issue where there truly wasn't enough space for applying the update, the update being the full size of the original app download plus some basically. As such, I grabbed a copy of the app data first using DiskAid, so I wouldn't lose my profile data and game saves, deleted the app from my phone and was then able to download and install the updated app, then putting my app data back in place which fortunately was still 100% compatible.

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
I have 2.1GB available on my phone, trying to install a 1GB app, says I don't have enough space. iPhone 5 jailbroken on 6.1.2.

What gives? And before you say it's the jailbreak, I doubt it because I've been jailbroken for years and haven't encountered this problem yet.
1GB is the compressed installation package.

Depending on graphic content, it probably unpacks to around 1.4 GB.

Meaning installation package + install = 2.4GB.

I'd clear to 2.8GB to be sure.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
you need at least an extra 1GB would be my guess, I would say delete it from songs and videos, then after install of the program reload them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.