I have my first iPhone 3g bill already!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drpellypo, Jul 10, 2008.

1. drpellypo macrumors 6502

Oddly, it's £36.16, not £35. Any ideas why that is?
    My O2 has already updated with how many minutes/texts I have remaining. And.. the phone has been picked up from O2 and is en route. I am almost certainly going to get it tomorrow!

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Some sort of local 3% tax?

3. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

any charges you had to pay off from your old contract? that's if you were on o2 ..?

4. drpellypo thread starter macrumors 6502

We don't have that kind of thing in the UK Matthew. We all pay 17.5% tax, no matter where you live.

No - no old charges. I am technically a new customer as I never registered my v1 iPhone.

5. zeasar macrumors regular

zeasar

Credit card handling fees perhaps?

Or maybe somehow they knew you never registered your old iphone, and that's a little slap on the hand for the jailbreaking happy hand... :p

BTW, I consider our tax to be at 35% instead of 17.5%, since we pay tax on our incomes, and pays tax on EVERYTHING else we spend our money on.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Just check your online bill at O2's site to see what the extra item is.

They add VAT to the total - the £35 tariff breaks down like this:
    £29.75 + VAT = £35
    If there is an extra charge it is added to the basic tariff and VAT is calculated on the total.
    Much like VAT includes shipping costs.

7. drpellypo thread starter macrumors 6502

Description Amount
    My tariffs 30.78

Total before VAT 30.78
    VAT 5.38

Total new charges 36.16

Total amount due
    £36.16

We'll collect this amount from your account on or around 24 Jul 08.

Thank you for paying by Direct Debit.

8. drpellypo thread starter macrumors 6502

Not if you run your own company it's not ;) I get back most of the tax I pay on stuff, and my income isn't taxed very much at all. Good accountant, see.

9. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

Hi

It could be because you're actually paying your first bill as one month + x days so it brings you in to line with the O2 billing cycle, (or something like that!).

My first iPhone bill was like that and it was because of that reason.

HTH

- D

10. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

11. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

I take it you've opted for the £35 tariff. Where is the extra £1.16 coming from then???

12. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

£1.16 is 1/30 of £35--you're paying for an extra day in the first month because of some form of prorating, either to synchronize the billing cycles, or for some other reason.

13. drpellypo thread starter macrumors 6502

Well done to all those that guessed it.. you were right! I just go this email from O2.

Thanks for choosing O2. We're really pleased to have you with us, and we hope you enjoy using our service.

We know that a bill is usually the last thing to bring a smile to your face, but we're hoping you'll at least find this one clear and easy to understand. We also hope you'll see why it might seem a little higher than expected. Don't worry; it's just that we've charged you for a few days before your new bill date and your next month's line rental in advance - together with any other usage outside your inclusive allowance for this month

14. Todd234 macrumors newbie

I've never had a contract before, so let me get this straight, have they charged you for two line rentals already, this month's and next? Did you pay for line rental when paying for the phone? Would this be the same instore? Thanks

15. grapemac macrumors regular

i'm not happy with this "we've charged you for a few days before your bill date".

i live at one of the remote postcodes the new O2 information has listed and so won't get my phone delivered until the 14th. i don't mind paying the full £35 but i don't like this "few days" nonsense

16. madmanuk Guest

I had the same.
    Monthly billing date is jul 10th
    so they charged for 1 month in advance + 2 days 8th and 9th since they put the contract through.

When I checked yesterday I had 16 texts and some minutes, and today I have 600 minutes and 500 texts

So they have charged for 2 days of service during which we did not have handsets.

Not a big deal for me but if you multiply it by 20000 customers its a nice little earner...

17. grapemac macrumors regular

maybe i'm being a little pedantic but i've emailed to complain. i don't like the idea of having to pay for 6 days' usage without even having a handset.

18. Antj29 macrumors member

it will be an iterim charge as they have obviously changed it a day after your niormal bill end date.

Basically works out like this. £35 per month times 12 months then divide that number by 364 days. That gives you the daily cost which works to £1.15384. so they have rounded it up to £1.16

Hence 36.16

19. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Yeah, someone must have posted just before I did and I clocked the answer.

20. grapemac macrumors regular

excellent news. O2 emailed me back saying i should email them when my iPhone arrives (should be Monday) and they'll credit back the 6 days line rental ive been charged for in my first bill (despite not even having a handset yet).