Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cornchild

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
I have been trying to decide on my first mac. I posted a thread in the past that also had Mac pro in the mix but, I have ruled it out.

Now only two remain. I am trying to decide between either the 24' iMac or the 17' Macbook pro.

I have been watching the mac scene for 4 or 5 years now and have gotten to a place in my life where I can finally make the purchase and switch.

I do 2d/3d art as a hobby and plan to break into the industry one day.

As for portability I don't have to have it although it would be nice as I could work on my art during my breaks at work and watch dvds during lunch. I could also do presentations with keynote which would be cool.

The Macbook pro was my first choice when I first decided to get a mac, but now I'm not to sure. I want to make sure I have the best first impression breaking into the mac world.

So, What are your suggestions or what would you do? If you have a similar story please share.

Thanks,

Thomas

jordygreen

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
London, UK
I am in exactly the same position as you but wanting the 15" MacBook Pro instead im just not sure if ill need the portability or not. I may need it but then again i may not. 24" is a great thing but the MBP looks so nice.

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
If you need it for portability, get the Macbook Pro. It can be used just as well as a novice desktop replacement. It won't be as high-caliber as the iMac (that 24" of real-estate), but you will find it will function untill you can purchase the iMac later on.

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
I would definitely go with the MacBook Pro, then if you want to upgrade the screen real-estate down the road, you can just buy a 23/24" display and plug it right in :)

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
As for portability I don't have to have it although it would be nice as I could work on my art during my breaks at work and watch dvds during lunch. I could also do presentations with keynote which would be cool.

Hi Thomas.

I was in your position about 2 years ago -- trying to decide between a PB and an iMac. I went with the PB, and I love my PB. But in, retrospect, I think I should have purchased the iMac.

Most simply -- you get more power and more storage for your dollar. And what really stands out to me in your case -- you want the portability but don't need the portability. I highlight your "could" for a reason -- the operative question is not could you, but would you, and how often? Often enough to make up the price/specs difference?

You'll be happy with either, but were I in your position again, I'd get the iMac.

Let us know what you decide.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I have a MacBook Pro, and I'd much more rather have an iMac TBH. My MacBook Pro is not particularly good (Core Duo, maybe the new ones are much better).

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I'm sorry, but I don't even think this should be an issue. I understand the MB or MBP threads. I understand the iMac or MP threads. But this one is easily answered. If you need portability get the MBP. Else, get the iMac (it's a better value for the dollar).

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Is price a thing, or no?

If not I'd go with the 17'' MacBook Pro, as its basicly as fast as the iMac and you can just buy an screen later on if need be.

If price is a big deal then iMac would be fine as its a darn good computer, as good if not better then the MacBook Pro, just with out the portable option which is doesn't sound like it is NEEDED for you, just wanted

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Go with a MBP. If you're not sure you need the portability, get the computer that *can* be portable if you need it. A MBP can take the place of a desktop, ala the iMac. But an iMac can not be portable like the MBP.

If I were in your situation, I would drop the 17" screen on the MBP, and instead get a 15" MBP with a 24" external LCD.

Then you have all the power AND screen real estate when your at home, just like if you had the iMac. BUT... you can take the computer with you whenever you want.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
If you spend most of your time at home then get the imac. Stay away from the 17" imac though, the screen is garbage and sucks really bad for graphic work (its comparable to bottom of the line lcd's, its the worst LCD I have ever used, the viewing angle is so bad that no matter where you sit you have to deal with color fades and horizontal light gradients). The 20" screen is fantastic though.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I have an iMac, and I wish now I'd gone for a MBP. Not that I don't love the iMac - it was an outstanding buy. Nut my wife has been using her MB throughout the house, and I'm envious of the portability. Not to mention that I could join the growing numbers of my colleagues using their MBPs at work.

But I wouldn't get the 17". If I were you I would go for the 15" MBP with an external monitor.

McGarvels

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
Irvine, CA
I say go for the 24" iMac. It doesn't sound like you need the portability all that much, it's more just for convenience. Plus, the 24 incher is oh so pretty.

Cheers.

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
If money is an issue, get the iMac. If you're not scraping by, get the MBP.

Reliability is with the desktop. Portability is with the notebook.

the iMac is the better value. the MBP is the more versatile, but you pay for it & lose that BEAUTIFUL screen

24" is significantly brighter than 20" or 17"

don't know why

cornchild

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks for all help. It has really helped me with my decision. Like many of the posts said portability is not a requirement it would just be an added feature.

I am more comfortable with desktops. So, for my first mac I believe I will get the imac.

After all, I can always in a couple months pick up a macbook pro to add portability. The only reason i was going to go with the 17 was because it was going to be my desktop replacement.

The imac seems like the better choice though for my first mac. The screen is huge and the amount of hd space you can get will be very well needed.

I have noticed though that the buyers guide says that it will update soon? I wonder when? I plan to buy at the end of February. Hopefully the update will be done before then. I don't want to have to wait longer. lol

But, if an update is on the way I couldn't bring myself to buy it before.

I am eager to use Mac OS X and learn apple script.

Thanks again for all the help.

Thomas

GlynJones

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2005
Same situation for me last week. I decided to go with a maxed out iMac 24 and keep by old Powerbook 12" for the occasional portability.

Can't wait until it arrives. :apple: :D :apple:

cornchild

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Well, I am close to having enough money for the macbook pro. I am starting to wonder if I should just go with it. The other day i was actually able to see a macbook in person.

Though not a pro, it was stunning. Makes me wonder if I should just go ahead and get the macbook pro instead of the imac?

If you had the option of either macbook pro 17 or imac 24 what would you take?

the macbook looked so cool. I couldn't believe the area of the track pad. I don't have any fears of using the built in track pad anymore. lol The screen seemed very large which was odd considering it was 13.3.

I think I'm back where I started. lol

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
Well, I am close to having enough money for the macbook pro. I am starting to wonder if I should just go with it. The other day i was actually able to see a macbook in person.

Though not a pro, it was stunning. Makes me wonder if I should just go ahead and get the macbook pro instead of the imac?

If you had the option of either macbook pro 17 or imac 24 what would you take?

the macbook looked so cool. I couldn't believe the area of the track pad. I don't have any fears of using the built in track pad anymore. lol The screen seemed very large which was odd considering it was 13.3.

I think I'm back where I started. lol

What do you NEED more, portability or power and screen space?

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Now to really mess you up....

I would get a 20" imac and a refurb macbook. This will still cost you less than the 17" MBP, and you will have the power and the portability.

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Go with the 15" mbp and then get an external monitor. The 15 is more portable, and then in a few years you can go all out on the mac pro and you will already have the monitor etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.