I have never been able to cut in finder.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kalixa, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Kalixa macrumors member

I can never actually cut an item in Finder. I can copy my file, both by using cmd+c and finding it via the edit menu. But each time I try to cut, I try using cmd+x and look in the edit menu, but here it will always be grayed out. Does anyone know why I never have been able to cut files in the Finder?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

OSX doesn't allow you to cut, it's a safety feature

3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

'Safety feature' my ass.

They just won't put it in because they're stubborn. :p

The reason you haven't been able to do it is because the functionality isn't there.

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

You are exactly right....stubborn.

At least give users the Option to allow cuts or not allow cuts.

I'm able to cut/paste on Windows and Linux....why can't I on my OS X machine (my preferred machine)? Well...because Steve probably cut something once and pasted it in the wrong place....then he had his developers take it out.

-Kevin

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

If you cut some files, then the Mac crashes, you may lose the stuff...same if you copy/cut something else, because you forgot about the original cut files.

6. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

First...yes of course if the system crashes you lose stuff. Although with TM now...I'll bet it's easier to get it back :D

And second....are you serious that Apple can't do something that Windows has been able to do for years :confused:

In Windows:
    1) Cut a file called: 1.txt
    2) Go to another folder and cut a file called: 2.txt (this is without pasting 1.txt anywhere)
    3) Go paste 2.txt somewhere.

Where is 1.txt? Well....it's right in it's original place.

It's just something that should be enabled somehow. Maybe...make users install the Developer tools to activate cut in the finder?

-Kevin

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

What I don't get is if you're navigating to the new folder anyway, why not drag&drop?

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In Windows, open Notepad and type two chunks of text.

1. Cut the first chunk.
    2. Cut the second chunk.
    3. Paste.

Where's the first chunk gone? It has disappeared, and is no longer in its original place. As you see from this example, Windows is inconsistent. Apple is trying to avoid this.

9. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

IF you are only going a few levels deep....then maybe it's ok. But what if you have to drill 3,4,5 levels down. Spring loaded folders are a pain popping up all over.

The bigger pain for me is....what if I'm in a subfolder....and want to move a file UP just one level to it's parent directory. I have to click and drag.....and basically start navigating from some beginning point just to get one level up.

Note....I use list view. Obviously column view would make the second a little easier, but I'm old school list view.

-Kevin

10. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

First off, I'm only talking about file level cut here....not text in an application. The Mac does text cutting in the same way.

So what you are saying is....Apple is ok with letting people cut text from an app and lose it.....but a file is too risky? Maybe...but again....I can understand Apple wanting to protect. So....make me enter a pref pane to enable...or install developer tools. Just give the power user the ability.

-Kevin

11. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

Is it really that big of a deal?

Just freakin' Copy then Move to Trash the original.

Jeez.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

When I came across from Windows I found this behaviour annoying too, but I've got used to it. I typically either drag from one window to another, or via the desktop.

13. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Likewise, when I first switched, I found this absence very annoying: file cut/paste is easier and faster than file copy/paste/delete.

However, I learned the Mac compensates with spring-loaded folders. Being able to to drag a file through the file system largely eliminates the need for cut/paste in the Finder.

14. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

That's the way I usually end up working if I cba to open a new window and navigate to it straight away

15. statikcat macrumors 6502

statikcat

Apple can.. they just choose not to :D

That works on the same drive. I have 5 drives so I often move things from one to another. I would be nice to move items.. and not have to worry about deleting the source afterwards. Especially when I am moving 5 things in a que/at once.

16. stupidregister macrumors member

Cut would only delete the file if it is pasted elsewhere. Otherwise it will remain (perhaps grayed out to indicate the cut). There is no reason to get scared that it will somehow disappear if the system crashes.

Spoken like a person who has no idea how filesystems work. Try benchmarking your claim (you may be waiting several minutes if the file is big enough).