I have never been so annoyed by something so small

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by joewillmott, Oct 23, 2013.

1. joewillmott macrumors regular

The dock in OSX Mavericks. What the hell have they done???

I keep my dock on the right because that's the logical position; most websites run out of space vertically so you have to scroll vertically, not horizontally, meaning having the dock on the side where you have spare space makes more sense.

When doing this, the dock isn't quite as solid and shiny as it is at the bottom. Couple this with most websites I frequent having white backgrounds, as well as lots of dock icons have white edges, it makes the dock really hard to see and quite ugly as well.

Also; does anyone else have the problem where the dock doesn't pop out 9/10 times? I have to keep going back and forth until it finally works.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have the dock on the side as well, and tbh, I prefer the white matte background of the dock. It gives me more contrast, i.e., its easier to see the little white line of what's active.

Give it some time, before you know it, you'll be used to it :)

3. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I love the new frosted glass dock when on the side. You will get used to it.

4. joewillmott thread starter macrumors regular

Fair enough, that's your opinions. I really do hope I learn to love it, but at the moment it's annoying me. Do you guys have the problem with it not popping out most of the time? Wondering if it's a problem with my machine or if it's universal.

5. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Pops out fine for me but I agree that the white is unhelpful for the same reasons you listed. I'm sure there'll be a hack soon.

6. joewillmott thread starter macrumors regular

Okay so others don't seem to be having this problem with the dock not popping out, but for future reference if anybody does:

Moving your cursor over to the dock too fast is the problem. Approach it at a slow/medium pace and it's fine, but zipping over there is no longer recognised. I am just always in a hurry, hence why mine doesn't pop out most of the time.

7. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

it doesn't bother me but i totally understand your point of view here. i hate when they take away features for little or no reason... why not leave it as an option for people such as yourself?

(i just got through ranting on another thread..and by ranting i mean whinging...that they took away the swipe for command-tab and replaced it with mission control which i don't like as much)