I have never tried this hard to spend 10 bucks!!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Tuckmonster, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Tuckmonster macrumors regular

This is the hardest I have ever tried to spend my money. They should let us have this update for free, after all this crap......or give us a $10 credit for the itunes store. Seriously I'm not the type of person that always wants free stuff but if this was a restaurant we would be getting our food free if we waited this long. Stupid analogy I know, but you know what I'm saying. dammit .....

2. neb macrumors member

I totally agree with you. It's been almost 4 months since they announced it, and now they can't get the date right? Sheesh, we SHOULD get a $10 iTunes Store credit.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

They never promised you that it would be out at a certain time. They've still got more than 8 hours to get it out on 11/7, and that's just Pacific time. You're trying to spend $10 on something that isn't available yet, not something that nobody will sell to you.

4. neb macrumors member

Well I understand that, but if they don't release it by 11:59 tonight... they're going to have some angry customers. :p

5. Marcquito macrumors member

Marcquito

Ok- that analogy I just read was completely stupid.This whole ordeal has NOTHING to do with a restaurant. This is a freaking update- you can live if you wait a bit longer. 80% of everyone on these boards are absolutely stupid.

Bottom line: Apple is going through a much more complex set of problems than most of your brains can fathom. Calm down, go have a drink, go out for a drive in your sports car, enjoy sunlight, whatever! Just stop complaining!

I'm only here because I was wondering what the hell was happening with the updates. I can say this site has answered my question not for the day but for every minute the update has not been successful. You guys need a life. Really.

I'm off. Cheers.

6. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

well, it's 12th July 00:08 in the uk, can I get angry now? :p

7. strausd macrumors 68030

haha yes you can

8. kris1493 macrumors newbie

This is sad, really sad because i feel the exact same way.

9. kingBLAOW macrumors newbie

Why are any of you angry? Apple doesn't owe you anything. It's not like they are being sneaky and are trying to stop you from getting the update, or have already taken your $10 and gave you nothing in return.

Relax.

Work on reigning in those demands of instant gratification.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Actually they do. I already paid $60+ for 38 applications; I think I deserve the right to buy the 2.0 update for $10

11. Pickoff macrumors member

This reminds me to ask, can I use iTunes store credit to purchase the update? I imagine since the update has to be purchased through iTunes.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes you can.

13. kingBLAOW macrumors newbie

You chose to buy all that without the software update. You can't hold them responsible for your short-sightedness. It's a safe bet that if they could get you the update, they would. I don't know a lot of companies that willingly leave money on the table.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well the update changed again to 2.0 available, but I still can't get it!

15. kingBLAOW macrumors newbie

Well if it says it is available, go buy more apps!!! I'm sure you can download the software update soon...........

16. kapstaad macrumors newbie

Is it OK if we hold Apple's deployment managers and engineers responsible for _their_ short-sightedness? Or are you going to whip out some other Apple apologist excuse for why Apple is somehow not required to meet any standard of accountability whatsoever?

Frankly I don't buy the "servers crashed" line. That's a lot of cr@p. If it _were_ true, it would be a damning indictment of Apple's server hardware. I mean, it's not like there's a single Mac box sitting in a little room somewhere taking the entire onslaught of attempted downloads all by itself; there's an entire server farm with all kinds of redundant networking and power, multiple NAS storage systems with hot-standby backups. A single server, even a single RACK of servers, wouldn't explain an entire day of downtime.

17. kingBLAOW macrumors newbie

First, what do you have to base this feeling on? Your gut instinct? It seems to me that you are just angry and need to pin the blame on something/someone in order to placate yourself. I am not an Apple apologist. I am (trying to be) a realist. I don't know of any companies that have never had any screw-ups. Do you? The longer things aren't working, the more it costs Apple money. That is what it comes down to. Now since they are in the business of making money, it would seem that this current situation would go against their goals a tad.

And with regards to accountability, uhm, what are you talking about. They are being accountable. They said they are having server problems and are working on things. That by definition is taking account of their actions.

"Delayed instant gratification" makes people angry! Grrrrrrr!!

18. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I'm bummed but in no way am I letting this situation affect my mood. I don't think they owe anyone anything really, well maybe an apology (even that is pushing it). It sucks but life really does go on.....

Now back to pushing the update button a million more times

19. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

I'm torn. I'm very disappointed in Apple. They knew how many would be attacking their servers and, frankly, should have been prepared. I'm also irritated at the lack of apology/explanation... especially when we all know that there's something wrong.

On the other hand, I'm getting upset at not being able to play with a monkey in a ball. Seriously, what?? I feel ridiculous.

20. kapstaad macrumors newbie

Yes, gut instinct -- based on nearly 30 years as a computer systems engineer, programmer, db admin, network admin, and several more 'hats' besides. My "anger" stems from MY time being wasted trying to figure out if the problem was my computer, my software, or my internet connection. I mean, a company with Apple's market cap couldn't possibly screw up so monumentally that their entire upgrade process would get tanked for an entire day, on the very day they executed a major product launch -- could it?

And if it did, surely they'd PULL the page on their website with the "click here to buy it" link, and they'd PULL the XML feeder tells iTunes there's a newer version, and they'd issue a press release along with a front-page website article explaining the nature of the problem along with the expected time for a fix. That's what a responsible company with something other than bland indifference to it's customer base would do.

Instant Gratification has nothing to do with it. This isn't about anything "instant", this is something Apple set expectations for, months in advance, which it then failed to meet.

Yes, everyone has problems from time to time. People (and companies) who screw up should (promptly!!) take responsibility, apologize to those inconvenienced by the problems, keep them appraised of the attempts to rectify the problems, and ensure there's no repetition of them (this isn't the first time Apple's machinery has barfed on a launch date).