I have over 30 Dead Pixels, will apple cover it ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by salahy, Sep 6, 2015.

1. salahy macrumors newbie

salahy

Hello guys,
    this is my first post, I have a macbook pro retina 2012, I have over 30 dead pixels on my screen, and the laptop is still covered under apple care, the problem is I have small dent on the corner, and theres a brighter light there, I gave the laptop to the local service center and they will send it to the USA, the local center said its not guaranteed they may fix it and they may not, cause of the dent.

Anyone have idea, I cant wait 5 weeks and they tell me you have to pay 500$, I need to have an idea before sending it.

Thanks.

2. chriscrowlee Suspended

chriscrowlee

AppleCare seems to generally side with generosity. They're not in the business of being sticklers and trying to upset loyal customers. My guess is they'll cover it. A laptop is meant to be portable. A portable anything is meant to be carrier around, put into bags, and take like bumps and thumps. If it's a minor dent, it seems to me it could have happened from a light bump in your bag, something a laptop SHOULD be able to handle.

My guess is they'll return a laptop with a new screen. If you're REALLY lucky, maybe they'll even try to fix the dent. :). If they contact you and ask to charge you, you can always escalate to Customer Relations. They'll generally issue a one-time override on any AppleCare contract. The bottom line is while they charge $500 to a customer for a screen, do you think corporate wants to lose a future customer over their cost, which is likely $100 or less? Probably not.

Good luck. I hope it all goes well, and I think it will...

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

They will ask the question "did the dent, or the drop that caused this dent, cause the dead pixels?".

If the answer is likely to be yes (i.e. the dent is roughly where the dead pixels are, or they are perfectly horizontally or vertically aligned with the dent) then they'll probably charge. If the answer isn't likely to be yes, they'll just do it.

They don't expect a 3 year old machine to be in perfect condition.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

You should ask Apple, not strangers on the internet. They have the final say on coverage.

5. chriscrowlee Suspended

chriscrowlee

Strangers on the internet? LOL, first of all, he's here because he's in a non-Apple country, so he can't walk in. And you know if he calls or emails Apple, they're not going to answer without having the product in front of them to give a solid answer.

If we're all just strangers on the internet giving advice, why are you here? We use this forum because it's been proven time and time again that the power of knowledge found in this forum far surpasses any single Apple Store\AppleCare employee.

6. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

None of our knowledge can or will affect Apple's final say on whether this is covered or not. It's 100% a judgment call from whoever gets his/her hands on it when it comes in for repair.

That's what I was trying to convey. Anyone saying yes or no would be solely basing his/her reply on anecdotal evidence.

8. chriscrowlee Suspended

chriscrowlee

Right, like you said, "gets his\her hands on it" ... nobody on the phone is going to give any sort of definitive answer as to the question. They have to see it and assess it to give an answer. It'd be like calling a car dealership and asking them how much to fix an engine rattle.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Pretty much.

Which is why I answered the OP the way I did. No matter how much knowledge, info or anecdotes we give him, it's not going to affect Apple's decision. If OP decides to send their computer in, it's a roll of the dice.

Good luck with your repair OP, hopefully you get a technician who's having a good day.

10. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

If they fix the screen the dent will be fixed. It's a sealed unit, they can't just fit a new display.

In my experience, Apple are pretty good about overlooking damage and fixing a problem, providing the damage didn't cause the problem.

11. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

30 dead pixels is allot. They will replace the whole screen/lid assembly.