I Have Problems Changing My Login Screen

judygsq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
so I read that you can customise your login screen by saving the desired login screen wallpaper as com.apple.desktop.admin.png then move it to Macintosh HD > Library > Caches

I'm supposed to be able to see my new login screen wallpaper when log out to log in again, but the old wallpaper is still there, though I have already deleted it.

after giving up, a few log outs later, my desired wallpaper popped up. I got happy. then the next time I switch on my macbook, it's gone.

so basically, the login screen wallpaper keep changing. but I only have one com.apple.desktop.admin.png file in that /caches folder.

I don't know what's the problem. please help.

thanks in advance!

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
You need to lock the login screen wallpaper otherwise the default login screen will re-appear.
Here are the steps to change login screen and lock the file.

Thanks goes to user: jimmyj3rd who posted this in the following thread https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20545092#post20545092

In the process of building a custom OSX 10.10 image I found the following to work for setting custom login background, prevent users from changing it.

1. Replace /Library/Caches/com.apple.desktop.admin.png with custom png background. Could also rename original file to hold onto.

2. Log off or reboot to make sure new file is being used.

3. Log back in and then Lock the file running terminal command:

sudo chflags uchg /Library/Caches/com.apple.desktop.admin.png

Done.

If you don't lock it, when user changes their desktop background it will replace the com.apple.desktop.admin.png file with a blurred version of their desktop background

If you want to unlock the file run:

sudo chflags nouchg /Library/Caches/com.apple.desktop.admin.png

On previous versions of OSX I had run into issues with the OS using my custom PNG files created from Adobe Photoshop (Likely do to how i saved them), so I typically just open my custom png or jpg images in Apple Preview app and do an export to PNG, resolved that issue. If you run into issue might be worth doing.

Hope this helps someone.

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
I've always wondered if I could do this, but gave up after my first failed attempt. Would be nice if :apple: gave us a setting to change it

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
I've always wondered if I could do this, but gave up after my first failed attempt. Would be nice if :apple: gave us a setting to change it
You can do it and it is pretty easy when you know how. Follow the instructions in my post above.

Reactions: Yakibomb

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
so now I wait for my desired wallpaper to show up and lock it after that?
I did it straight after logging out, but I didn't have the issue you describe. You may have to try both methods and see if either works. Keep a copy of the original file if you like.

Just a thought are you using an admin account or standard account? Also are you the only user logged in?
I will run through the steps on my yosemite machine later, just to check that it is still working on the latest version.

judygsq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
I did it straight after logging out, but I didn't have the issue you describe. You may have to try both methods and see if either works. Keep a copy of the original file if you like.

Just a thought are you using an admin account or standard account? Also are you the only user logged in?
I will run through the steps on my yosemite machine later, just to check that it is still working on the latest version.
I'm using the admin account.
and here's an update:
it doesn't work, still.
although the desired wallpaper does appear more frequent, but it keeps switching, from my desktop wallpaper to a dark brown solid colour wallpaper, then the desired one. and I locked it. it still keeps switching.
is it because I'm using the admin account?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.