I have Push Email - (no MobileMe) FREE!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ec51, Jul 25, 2008.

1. ec51 macrumors 6502

2. grimreaper1377 macrumors regular

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

4. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Is there a way to automatically make it send via a different email? I'm not finding the option I remember seeing something on it but can't quite remember.

5. And5555 macrumors member

6. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Nice. I skipped that cause i have mobile me but lifehacker had a good article on setting up a push calender syncing from google, which worked nice.

7. cudo macrumors regular

the idea is cool but it does not work really well for me. it does push email but very often not instantly but after 5 minutes or not until i check it manually

8. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I've always got all of my email from Yahoo pushed to me, even on the first-gen iPhone before 2.0.

9. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

thanks for the link, i have signed up and put it all in and it works but its not real push email, i sent myself an email 3 minutes ago and it still hasnt arrived.

10. tritonj macrumors 6502a

did you send to the mail2web account or your gmail/hotmail that is then forwarding to mail2web?

if you are forwarding there can be a delay but once it hits mail2web it should push over

as for it not being true push e-mail, mail2web is giving you a free hosted exchange account, so it is push e-mail by definition, you are using active sync to get the mail

11. modul8tr macrumors regular

How do I make my responses look as if they're coming from Gmail?

Right now I've got Gmail pushing to iPhone via mail2web, I'd like to be able to respond that the pushed email and have it show up as my Gmail on the other end.

12. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Set your home machine to also use Mail2Web

13. ec51 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, this is what I do:

I use the Mail2Web exchange account as my ONLY email account on my iPhone for PUSH reasons, obviously.

Then I have a Gmail shortcut (for Safari) on my homescreen. Once I get notice that I have an email, I then just click on my Gmail Icon and use the gmail web interface to respond and whatnot.

It's true that this adds a couple of steps, but to me it is worth it since the web interface for gmail can be used in LANDSCAPE and I can type a lot faster in landscape. Plus, you can do everything with web interface versus as a email client on the iPhone.

14. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

Not only is this adding a couple of steps, but you're draining more battery by having safari in constant connection to gmail page so it doesnt time out...not good if you're typing something long and when you receive a phone call Safari closes and everything is lost. This is why a mail client is better. If you were on mail and you just ended a call, you automatically go back to mail where you had left off.

@modul8tr - You can set your SMTP to point to your gmail SMTP settings so outgoing mails will go through gmail and the recipient will receive your mail from your gmail address.

15. ec51 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not true at all:

1. Safari is not staying in a constant connection with Gmail...it will only update when I visit the page and then it will refresh.

2. If I was to actually be typing a long email and received a phone call the auto-save draft would most likely suffice. HOWEVER, all I would have to do is click on Safari again and the page is just like I left it. INSTEAD, if I hit the gmail icon - that is when it would refresh the page and I would lose the email.

Ive been using this method for about a week and have not noticed any significant change in my battery. Still lasts about 2 days with regular use (location services and wifi turned off most of the time).

16. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

Auto-save = constant connection (if not constant then timed)

Anyway, whatever works for you...not trying to argue. ;)

17. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

two questions regarding gmail --> mail2web...

-are all of my gmail rules irrelevant in mail2web?

-do i need to set up my desktop mail.app for mail2web? will it update read/unread mail similarly to an imap setup?

thanks,
    r.

18. whyrichard macrumors 68000

....got mail2web setup....

... but how do i setup mail2web/iphone/mail.app to send from the smtp of my choice?

thanks,
    r.

19. modul8tr macrumors regular

Thanks!

Where do I do this? On the iPhone under mail2web account settings, there's no field for outgoing mail. Just your mail2web login and pass.

20. And5555 macrumors member

You have to pay like $60 per year for the upgraded mail2web that allows for Outlook access.

21. adom macrumors 6502

lol my step by step instructions....1. get a yahoo address. 2. done. :p

22. View macrumors regular

For some reason, yahoo mail hasn't been that reliable for me in the past year.
    It pushes it instantly sometimes, but most of the time it doesn't push....

23. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I have a mail2web account too, but I have yet to figure out how to send from my gmail smtp server either. I eventually stopped using it and have gone back to my trial of mobileme, which easily allows me to send from my gmail smtp server in the iphone's settings. MS Exchange does not have that option. Going through 3-4 steps to reply to emails isn't going to cut it for me.

24. joeb macrumors newbie

Yahoo push reliability

How reliable has yahoo's push been for everyone? I've been using it for the past few weeks on my 3G and it works great about 75% of the time. Sometimes it gets hung up. I can usually get it going again by manually forcing to check my yahoo mail, but sometimes I have to restart my phone before pushing resumes. Occasionally, I have to remove the yahoo account from my iphone and reinstall it. I think it gets messed up when my yahoo account tries to push to my phone while my data connection is busy doing something else (i.e. surfing the web), but I'm still trying to verify this correlation.

How about everyone else?

25. oclor macrumors regular

I tried this and it works. The only problem are what people stated before:

-If you reply then it will show up as @mail2web

-If you have your gmail setup as well, you can change your reply address to solve the first problem. But then you have another problem in that you will be getting duplicate email notifications...

That's why I ditched this process. I can't wait till gmail gets push. WTF are they waiting for?