I have questions about using my Airport Time Capsule...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by magentawave, Mar 27, 2014.

1. magentawave macrumors regular

I have some questions about using my 2TB Airport Time Capsule please...

1) Can I transfer files from my *MacBook Pro to my Time Capsule wirelessly, as in NO ethernet cable between the MacBook Pro and the Time Capsule?

2) Is it possible to stay connected to the internet while transferring files from my Macbook Pro to my Time Capsule?

*Using OSX 10.9.2

Thanks!:)

2. NukeIT macrumors regular

Yes you can connect to the time capsule wirelessly.

Yes you can still connect to the internet at the same time.

3. magentawave thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I can transfer files wirelessly from my computer to the Time Capsule now but the only way I can see the Time Capsule in my Computers Finder is if I'm connected to the Time Capsule's WiFi which means my computer is not connected to the internet. Can you please tell me how I can connect to the internet and the Time Capsule at the same time?

Thanks

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you have the TC connected to your modem with an ethernet cable?

Normally it would be cable/dsl modem>Time Capsule>your devices.

Explain your setup and what devices you have and we can help you out.

5. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Unless you have a couple local networks (unusual), your computer is connected to both the TC and web at the same time. Devices communicate with IP data packets with other devices using IP addresses. Your network router/switch directs the computer's packets to/from the time capsule hard drive or the internet depending on the address. But the TimeCapsule, Router, Computer need to be on the same local network.

How is your Time capsule connected to your local network? Is it entirely separate?

Now do you connect to the web with your computer.

6. magentawave, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014

magentawave thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I should have mentioned this before but since my computer is so far away from the router I have to connect my computer to the internet with an ethernet cable which means there is no cable between the computer and Time Capsule.

The only "local network" I have, if I understand you correctly, is the network created when I turn on the Time Capsule. So if I choose "Time Capsule" in my Mac's selection of available WiFi networks that means my computer is not connected to the internet.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

To connect to the Internet and the TC at the same time you will need to have the TC connected to the modem by an ethernet cable. You do not need to have a cable from the computer to the TC though.... that can be done wirelessly.

Tell us exactly what modem you have and how it is connecting to everything.

8. magentawave thread starter macrumors regular

My internal modem is the one inside my MacBook Pro 17 and the other thing is ATT Uverse which is on the opposite end of this huge industrial building which is why I have to connect my computer to the internet with an ethernet cable.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay... gotcha. :) So the Uverse connection is what you want.

Take that ethernet cable that is now running across the building to the UVerse device and plug that cable into the WAN port (it will be the one closest to the power cord) on the TC. Now restart the TC then open Airport Utility and get to this screen and set it in Bridge Mode... then apply the changes. Now join the wifi on the TC and this will pass through the UVerse Internet connection and also allow you to access the TC drive.

[​IMG]

10. magentawave thread starter macrumors regular

Yay, that did it! THANK YOU for taking the time to explain that and do the screen capture. :D

EDIT: For those reading this in the future... and if I want to access the files in my TC with my iPad using the File Browser app with NO internet connection, then I need to change the TC settings from within Airport Utility from "Off (Bridge Mode)" back to "DHCP and NAT" under the Network tab.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Now another thing to note is that you no longer have to use the Ethernet cable for internet. The U-Verse modem/gateway if it had wireless is now effectively having its job done by the Time Capsule. There is no reason to turn on DHCP and NAT as you run the risk of messing up port arrangements.

If you leave it set to Bridge Mode like Weaselboy stated, your Time Capsule will give wireless internet and the local file sharing.