I have quicktime X what if I download quicktime 7?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adelaye, Dec 19, 2010.

1. adelaye macrumors newbie

I have quicktime X and I *WANT* to keep it.
    However, quicktime 7 supports older media files which I need, if I download this...do I get to keep both of these versions or will one take over the other?

Thank You :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. adelaye thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Which formats does QT7 support that QTX doesn't?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

According to Wikipedia: "QuickTime 7 may still be required to support older formats on Snow Leopard such as QTVR, interactive QuickTime movies, and MIDI files."

6. larkost macrumors 6502a

There is a common misunderstanding here. There are two layers that bear the name "QuickTime" and people get very confused when reading things because they don't undersstand that there are those two layers:

Layer 1) The "Player" applications: these are the things that live in your /Applications directory and provide a GUI with the window and play buttons. There is a "QuickTime 7 Player" and a "QuickTime X Player". On SnowLeopard the "QuickTime X Player" is installed by default, whereas the "QuickTime 7 Player" is not. Note that the "QuickTime X Player" only has some very rudimentary editing abilities, whereas the "QuickTime 7 Player" when used with a "QuickTime Pro" license has more editing abilities.

Layer 2) The "Framework" layer: these are the actual code that allows playback (and some editing) of the media files. These bits live in /System/Library/Frameworks (and are therefore not to be tinkered with). On SnowLeopard both "QuickTime 7" and "QuickTime X" frameworks are always installed. The "QuickTime X Framework" is very fast, streamlined, modern, and can in some cases use hardware acceleration. However, it is limited in the number of codecs that is supports. The "QuickTime 7 Framework" is a pile of loosely associated codecs built on a framework that is more than a decade old using a plugin system. While it is very flexible, there is not a lot of optimization.

Now comes the actual tricky part: the QuickTime X Player will happily use the QuickTime 7 Framework to playback content that the "QuickTime X Framework" can not play, but it does not know how to use the full editing system that is in place in "QuickTime 7 Framework".

So if you need to edit things AND have a QuickTime 7 Pro license, then you need to install the QuickTime 7 Player, otherwise you have no need of it (which is why it is not installed by default).

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Right. I figured that the QTX player and QT7 player both use the same underlying framework (apart from QT7 not being able to use the QTX-specific frameworks). Hence my question. But I guess HellHammer answered that one.