I have SERO plan.. Does it makes sense to get iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by simplenation, Sep 28, 2008.

1. simplenation macrumors member

Well I currently have a palm centro under the sprint SERO plan. i pay $29.99/month for 500 minutes, unlimited data and unlimited text messaging. With tax its about 34 bucks a month. Once upon a time i had a first gen i phone but cancelled it because i couldnt stand paying so much a month for a phone. I'm dying to get an iphone 3g but am having a hard time swallowing the $103/month bill. Any thoughts?

2. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I was basically in the same boat as you except I had the SERO 1250 plan for $49.99. I also had first incoming minute free, free phone as modem, unlimited nights and weekends starting at 5pm and pick 3. I'm on the 450 minute/plan with AT&T and I also have the $8.99 text messaging plan which gives you 1500 text messages per month. With the 3G data plan and my FAN discount, my bill is around $75/month. I don't know if you qualify for a FAN discount but if that amount of minutes is enough for you, that's around the price you will pay per month. I also got 200 bonus minutes per month (info on how to get that is in this forum) so that helps as well.

My advice to you - unless you really want the iphone, don't switch. Sprint's coverage is far superior to AT&T's in the US and if Sprint offered the iphone, I never would have left them. I only switched for the iphone and even though I do love it, I have buyer's remorse every time my phone shows the little "E" symbol. There just seem to be more problems with dropped calls, data coverage, etc. with AT&T. I will say their customer service is better than Sprint's but that's not really saying much.

3. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I went back and forth between SERO and getting an iPhone, and quite irrationally decided on the iPhone. It's a lot nicer to use than any of Sprint's phones, but the premium over SERO is ridiculous.

You've already had an iPhone, so you should already know, for the most part, whether or not it's worth the extra money to you. 3G is nice, but Sprint has good data speeds too. The only thing you'd be gaining that you haven't already experienced is the App Store.

You'll probably get mostly people telling you to switch back and get an iPhone, but honestly, if you already ditched an iPhone once and were happy about the move, I don't think enough has changed to revisit that decision.

4. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

If you leave Sprint for an iPhone, then you qualify to work for Paulson. Send your resume to the US Treasury.

5. simplenation thread starter macrumors member

Lol to the last post. Thank you for all the responses. I guess what really peaks my interest for the iphone is the application support. i hardly talk on the phone.. however i do send 2-3 thousand text messages per month lol. For the time being i think i'll stay put on my sero plan. its a real shame about the iphone plan pricing. i know its been compared over and over to data plans on other networks.. but it still seems excessive. I could technically purchase an ipod touch and pay for 1 year of sero service and it would still be cheaper that a years worth of iphone.. thanks again

6. Rlkv011 macrumors regular

I have the 3g and love it but I want to get a blackberry for work. I know someone that can get me sero but i think its 59.99 a month. How did you get it for $30 a month?

7. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about one of the original SERO plans. They were significantly cheaper than the current SERO plans because they didn't include some of the things that the new SERO plans include (like Sprint navigation). For me personally, the current SERO plans are not nearly as attractive because I would be paying for things I don't need (the navigation specifically). When I had my Sprint Touch on SERO, I had TomTom installed and that certainly negated the need for Sprint Navigation (plus my car has nav anyway).

8. techsetter macrumors newbie

I was on original SERO for a year and a half ($30 a month)... and happily switched to the iPhone on a family plan. I was having some Sprint issues with not receiving calls on my phone, but that should not factor into your equation.

If you get on an iPhone family plan, the price difference between SERO & AT&T will not be as much. Now I pay about $45-$50 a month with the FAN discount.

Here are ways I made up the cost difference:
    I sold my SERO plan (transfer of liability) to someone for $150. There is a demand to purchase them because Sprint has discontinued new SERO signups. That helped tremendously. I also renewed my Sprint contract just before transferring it to get a new phone and sold that for a profit as well. And I eBayed my used Palm Treo.

The $25 referral credit for signing up for a new AT&T contract is great, and so is referring 5 other people and getting $125 per year.

If you're worried about losing your original Sprint number when you transfer the SERO contract to someone else, I was able to convince Sprint to let me port out my original number to AT&T while assigning a new number to my SERO contract (because of the service problems).

Sprint phones just suck. The only bright spot is the Google Android phone that will probably arrive in 2009 on Sprint.

Actually, getting the iPod touch is what piqued my interest in a iPhone to begin with, so be forewarned. I tried carrying around a Sprint phone + an iPod touch for a couple months too. It's a pain to carry around two devices. And switching between the two devices just accentuated the awesome user interface that Apple provides over the crappy Windows Mobile/Palm interface.