I have some free webspace but I'm new ....

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by marbles, Jun 9, 2008.

1. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I have got some web space from my ISP & I'm new to making a website on Mac so I figured ask and see if anyone here will show me the way.

I have downloaded cyberduck to transfer files to the free space on the ftp server , my trouble is how do make a website to put up there ...I only need show a few pictures and play some music that I have made (so my family abroad can see/hear what I do now)

I have an old G3 mac to do this so iWeb is out :eek:

anyone help a new guy ?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Google: Create basic web page

The W3 School

Also check the stickies in this forum. Then if you have more specific questions let us know. Your question currently is way too broad to provide any more specific help. Web design is a big area.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

4. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Thank you for the links ,they are a great insight to building a website but it will take me good while to read through them I must say though that it has inspired me to learn more in the future , I fear it will take me a while to learn to write code for a site ...Is there an option for my scenario ?

I am sorry that I was not clear . I am completely new to making website ...I would like to find something similar iWeb ( without the fancy bits ) that will work on this old 450Mhz G3 iMac I use .....
    an easy way :eek: if there is one is what I seek so that I can show my family abroad some pictures and let them listen my music ........
    I fear , to learn code would take longer than I have at the moment...

Thank you for your offer of help Gaovi , however , I will decline .

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If you want a free WYSIWYG app to get you started check out KompoZer. You don't have to know code really to get started with it, but as you learn you'll be able to do more with it.

6. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

What about something like rapidweaver from : http://www.realmacsoftware.com/

This is a simple drag and drop web based app with a nice UI that builds a website , the demo version will make 3 pages max also the demo does not time out , bonus ! (when you get to the point that you want include more info in your site you can buy a serial n0) I think there are some video tuorials on there to get you going
    Version 3 is for PPC , version 4 is for OSX 10.5 leopard .

Luck.

7. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Brilliant help guys ,sorry it took so long to reply , I've started using Rapidweaver and it looks fine for what I'm doing and easy to use too

thanks again
    rj.