i have some questions about iphone programming ?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by bo-waleed, Sep 17, 2010.

1. bo-waleed macrumors 6502

i think i want to make apps for the iphone.

is it hard to make apps ??

what do you need to learn before programming on the iphone ?

if i make an app how can i put it in the app store and does it cost money ?

can you do this on windows or only on mac os ??

i have a macbook pro.

thanks for answering.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1) Yes, it can be hard, especially for beginners

2) Yes you will need to learn to program

3) Yes. It costs $99 a year

4) Mac OSX 10.6 only

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sometimes I have a hard time telling if these kinds of posts are serious or not.

First, read the FAQ on the top of this forum:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=518968

Second, "how hard is it to make iPhone apps?" is not a very intelligent question. Assuming you have no programming knowledge (which seems to be the case), it's going to be very hard albeit impossible to make an iPhone app. Wasn't that completely obvious?

4. tpg macrumors regular

To be honest, you may or may not find it difficult, depending on your disposition towards programming. Personally, I would not say programming is difficult since it is, by its nature, entirely logical.

You will need to learn objective-C, since this is the language used for writing native OS X and iOS applications. You will need to install the Developer tools from your OS X install disc to do any programming too (OS X only, as robbieduncan says).

It sounds like you're quite new to all of this, so I'd recommend that you search for an introductory book in your local bookstore. This will step you through setting up your environment and creating some simple apps to get you started. I won't make any recommendations here, but I'm sure there will be many on other threads in this forum.

5. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

'3) Yes. It costs $99 a year'

what !? you have to pay that for putting your apps on app store ?

can you just put the app on an website ?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Hundreds. All asking the same thing. There are even stickies in this forum that answer these questions. Yet people keep asking the same things over and over. It's the lack of logical approach (i.e. searching and reading the stickies) that lead me to believe that the poster will find it hard.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes

No

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

To be fair, you can put it on a website... it's just that nobody will be able to install it without jailbreaking.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sure and no-one is likely to pay for it going that way as they can just pirate it.

10. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

that's bad.

do you guys gain more money after spending 100$ ?

can i test the app on my iphone before putting it on app store ???

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

FFS: Search. These questions are asked frequently: the answers are common knowledge.

No-one can know if you'll make money or not. Many apps will not make $99 a year. And no: you cannot test on a real device without paying first.

12. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

+1, especially the search recommendation.

I look at the $99 as part of a tuition payment. You learn stuff when coding apps and getting them ready for market that you will not learn anywhere else. Even if you don't make a dime from the app, it always is a good skill to have in this craptastic job market.

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

But yes, you can test your app on your iPhone before putting it on the App Store. ;)
    In fact, it's recommended.

14. HarryWorksInc macrumors regular

I have been developing iPhone apps for two years and I started off not knowing a thing but with determination and hard work I'm have become an advanced programmer and have moved on to learn extensive knowledge in 5 Languages and now make about $300 a month so its not enough to live off of but if you really want to do this and are going to put in A LOT of time and effort to learn everything then its worth paying $100 a year, but if your just another one of the people posting these comments everyday who think that making apps will be like one of the programs where you drag and drop buttons on and use a pull down menu to select an action then you will fail and waste $100 dollars, i'm sorry to be harsh but programming is not easy and you have got to be committed.

15. firewood macrumors 604

Learn to program first. Some people, it takes weeks to catch on, some people, many many months, years, or never. You won't know which category you are in until you start and try.

16. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

will they remove my apps after the subscription ends ?

and what about the itunes store ?? can you put your musics and videos and sell them there ??

17. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes

Different publishing system: contact Apple.

18. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for answering my questions.