Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmassa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
I am new to the iPhone and got a 3GS on release day. I used the BenM hack which worked great. There are many features that I like in 3.1 and iTunes 9 so I upgraded. I only use tethering every few months when vacationing on the northern California coast where there is no Wifi or broadband, only a 14.4 kbps dial up. My solution is to put my iPhone sim card in my old Treo 750 and then use Internet connection sharing. This works but I admit it is a bit of a cumbersome solution.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I am new to the iPhone and got a 3GS on release day. I used the BenM hack which worked great. There are many features that I like in 3.1 and iTunes 9 so I upgraded. I only use tethering every few months when vacationing on the northern California coast where there is no Wifi or broadband, only a 14.4 kbps dial up. My solution is to put my iPhone sim card in my old Treo 750 and then use Internet connection sharing. This works but I admit it is a bit of a cumbersome solution.

Most carriers around the world do NOT allow you to put your sim card in any other phone and use the iphone data plan.

yes you have tethering but you may end up paying for that data.

iPhone 62S

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2009
Most carriers around the world do NOT allow you to put your sim card in any other phone and use the iphone data plan.

I used my iPhone SIM in a Nokia 5800 for about 2 months and didn't get charged once for data even though I used Opera Mini literally everyday.

cmassa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009

Can they tell what phone the data is going through? I have only tried it to load one web page just to see if it worked. I only do some browsing with it. Unfortunately cell service is bad there too and no 3G, but it is still faster than the dial up.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld

Not in Hong Kong. Most people here buy new phones in half a year or so. We can use whatever phone with whatever sim card we want

cmassa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009

Yes, really. Not everyone feels the need to jailbreak an iPhone. Being on call a lot I use the voice dialing over bluetooth frequently in the car. That is something the iPhone should have had from the beginning. It was very clumsy before (once it actually had voice activation anyway). Organizing apps in iTunes is nice. Tethering is something I did only rarely and with very little total data so I upgraded to 3.1. If using my old phone turns out to be a problem I just won't do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.