Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wannabelean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
to install in terms of compatibility. I need to run some old legacy business apps. Also what's the better route to go...bootcamp or VM?

Thanks

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Bootcamp will give you the best performance, especially for intensive tasks like gaming. Parallels or another VM will work fine for most business apps, and doesn't require a reboot.

I think Win 7 will be the latest well supported version for Windows. I know many people installed Win 8, but Apple hasn't (I don't think) released full driver support yet.

wannabelean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
Bootcamp will give you the best performance, especially for intensive tasks like gaming. Parallels or another VM will work fine for most business apps, and doesn't require a reboot.

I think Win 7 will be the latest well supported version for Windows. I know many people installed Win 8, but Apple hasn't (I don't think) released full driver support yet.

Thanks. The 32 bit or 64 bit version?

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
You can get trial versions for both VMware Fusion and Parallels. You can also get a Windows 8 trial version.

Try 'em both out. If they work, great. If not then you may need to Boot Camp.

There's also another App that runs some Windows software. If it's an older program not requiring much computing power and you need to run these programs this may be the solution. Sorry, can't remember the name of the App.

Just do a search for VMware vs. Parallels and I think it's mentioned in a MacWorld comparison as a side note.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Only 64bit is supported.
My experience on mac is: win8 is not working! It crashed after about 5 bootups.
Try not to pollute your beautiful mac with wi**ows. :mad:

On my retina MBP, I have Windows 7 installed via Bootcamp. On my MacBook Air, I am currently testing Windows 8 via Parallels in Coherence mode. So far, it seems to work pretty well, especially with I installed some of the Stardock software to make W8 look and operate like Windows 7. I've had no issues on either machine running Windows in this manner.

dbroncos78087

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2013
Northern Virginia
I have only used VM and it works great. I would be careful not to tax it too much because the most RAM you can get into an Air is 8GB.

So if bootcamp is independent, then I would give that a try first.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
I've got a win7 vm on my 8 gig MBA and have given it 4 gig. Works like a champ for those times when only IE can access some stuff @ work, or windows is an absolute must have (thankfully not often).

My IT organization is slowly becoming enlightened, but we'd sure like to see them move faster regarding support of anything besides Microsoft Windows.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Windows 7 64-bit. I see no reason to get Windows 8. I downgraded a bunch of my laptops from Windows 8 to 7. Only for a touchscreen computer do I find Windows 8 to be superior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.