I have the iPhone 3g, but I like 2g....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by machacker, Mar 25, 2009.

1. machacker macrumors regular

I have the iPhone 3g, but I really really like the physical form of the 2g. I am sure I could find someone either on the forums here, or online who would willingly trade phones with me.

But what would I be losing? I use the gps function sometimes, but printing out google maps before I leave my dorm isn't the worst thing in the world. So what else?

Is there anyone who has had both that can compare them a little? Also is the data plan cheaper?

Thanks guys!

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

So let me get this straight. You want to straight-up trade an iPhone 3G for a 2G because of the shape?

3. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

you might want to plant an ad on craigslist. that's how i got my 2G.

yes the plan is cheaper, i pay 20$/month with 200 texts.

and don't worry tower triangulation isn't bad at all. i haven't had a problem using it. and you can still use google maps for directions if you already know where you ARE.

there isn't going to be bluetooth stereo streaming either. but i am fine with that!

just do a little research on Google for plans, and side-by-side comparisons. i'm pretty sure you aren't the first person to ask this question.

hope this helps!

4. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Just get a case if you want it bulkier

5. machacker thread starter macrumors regular

Its not that I just like the shape. I am much more comfortable with a metal phone and not a plastic one. And if I put a case on my 3g it is too bulky. But I like how strong the 2g is. Not just that, the cheaper plan would rock. I am tight for money.

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm with the original poster on this one. Things I like about the original iPhone here:

1. The metal is so nice and strong feeling.
    2. The matte finish leaves virtually no fingerprints or dirt
    3. The silence switch is all one piece, so it can't break off
    4. The iPhone is slightly skinnier and easier to hold

The things I like about the iPhone 3G

1. Audio volume is louder in both call volume and ringer volume
    2. The plastic back is all one piece instead of 2 pieces
    3. The chrome buttons look nice and have a sturdier feel
    4. The screen is calibrated better (no negative black and good contrast)

So they both have trade offs. I switched back to my 2G iPhone for about a week until I missed having 3G... it seems slow after using it for a while, but once you go back to EDGE... heh... 3G seems so much better. Using 3G again is a welcome change. The GPS will get you out of jams sometimes when you're lost... it's nice to know exactly which street you're on instead of the general area you're in.

It's a personal preference really.

Get whatever makes you happy. If you think you won't miss 3G or GPS, then go for it. Just remember, when 3.0 comes out, you won't be able to use MMS or Stereo Bluetooth... not to mention any other features that perhaps they haven't announced yet that may not be compatible with the first gen iPhone.

7. machacker thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks man. That was the kind of things I was wondering. I live in a pretty decent coverage area, so Edge isn't that bad I don't think.

I won't use MMS. I email pics if I want to send them. I am wondering about the internet speeds. I don't use it too often, but I do use it. I email more often than I surf the internet.

I think the money I would save over the course of a year, and the money I would make from the selling of the 3g would make up for a lot of things.

8. davelanger macrumors 6502a

If you have not really used the 3G that much and are used to the EDGE then you really wont miss the faster speed.

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Here's what you should do. On your 3G, go into Settings>General>Network> and turn off 3G. Use only EDGE for about a week and see if that is alright with you. If you don't mind using EDGE and GPS doesn't bother you, then go ahead and downgrade to the first gen iPhone. The cool thing is... AT&T will allow you to downgrade your iPhone without restarting your contract time. Once you get your first gen iPhone, call AT&T and give them the IMEI number of the first gen and swap the sim. It's really easy. If you need help... feel free to PM me. I've been in your shoes... actually, I just switched back to my 3G because EDGE was bothering me. I forgot another thing about 3G that I like... No crappy GSM buzzing sounds transmitting through nearby speakers... I forgot about this when I switched back to EDGE... it annoys me.

10. weeman macrumors 6502

I'm down to trade my first gen if you are down. It has AppleCare until mid July. Let me know if you are interested?