Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I'm willing to do a short amateur review on my blog if anybody is interested. I'll be using it with the E420 and making a comparison with the 17-45mm and the 12-60mm lenses using the same focal lengths for each.

Let me know of any initial interest please? :)

RainForRent

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
Greenville, SC
How do you like the e420? I am interested in them, I like how small they are, but I have yet to talk with anyone who owns one. A Leica lens on it sounds tasty.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
A small part 1 is up.

Once I get my Olympus camera back I'll take some pictures of it as well with the lens attached.

But so far there is enough to grip when using both together. The kit lens is weak weight wise because both the Leica lens and the 12-60mm when attached make the camera very balanced in this and it feels solid. The kit lens attached is like holding a Holga and associating it with that kind of feel.

My biggest issue with the Olympus is the noise after 400 ISO, this new lens goes a long way to staying away from higher ISO levels.

Other than that, the Olympus is pretty good and I use to own the Canon 5D as well, oh wait, I am more accustomed to shooting full frame and I tend to crop my images into a 2:3 ratio, away from 4:3! :) But that is just me and personal preferences.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I want to hear a review. How much $$$ is that lens?

And regarding the noise, I don't know if it's really a huge issue. Just get the optimal image settings.

From THIS DPReview review, I'd set the camera to "low NR" setting. Noise would still be an issue, but the effects of NR are much more annoying, IMO.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I want to hear a review. How much $$$ is that lens?

And regarding the noise, I don't know if it's really a huge issue. Just get the optimal image settings.

From THIS DPReview review, I'd set the camera to "low NR" setting. Noise would still be an issue, but the effects of NR are much more annoying, IMO.

The price is on the blog but I got if off ebay for $1116 but from the UK, I think the seller ships worldwide, he has a link in my blog as well, hopefully everything is going to be on there with all the info you need eventually.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
RE: I have the Leica 25mm f1.4 lens.

I have started to upload the review I did of this lens in comparison to the other lenses I own in the Olympus 4/3rds system.

Part one was uploaded a few days ago.

Parts 2, 3, 4 and 5 are now up and I'll upload part 6 a little later on.

Part 5 focuses on the Leica as will later parts. Part 2 and 3 are there for comparison against the Leica lens.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Okay I'm done, I didn't realise how much time it would take. It is only my first week blogging afterall It is all finished with conclusion and I'll set about making a seperate page for it so it helps you scroll from top to bottom and not the other way around.

Apart from that and adding some images relating to specular highlights, its finished. I hope I've helped and now its up I will be pimping it in this forum in future and I hope you will to for those who are undecided as to whether to buy it or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.