I have the original iPhone, how do I upgrade to iPhone 3G S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cshumate, Jun 8, 2009.

1. cshumate macrumors newbie

I got the original iPhone from AT&T for Christmas in 2007 (so I have had the iPhone for 1 1/2 years.) How much will it cost me to upgrade to the iPhone 3G S? Will I be able to upgrade with the same prices as the 3G customers or do I have to go by something else?

And yes, I know the data is 30$.

2. ainjo1919 macrumors regular

Same here, I bought mine on November 2007 and I also would like to know about the pricing for us 2G users.

3. juice macrumors newbie

If you have an original iPhone you are eligible for the subsidized price.

I just ordered a 32GB for $299 + $18 activation fee.

Anyone know what happens to my old iPhone once I do the switch? Can i still use it like an iPod touch?

4. cshumate thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I'll be getting the 32GB as well.
    I'm not sure what they do with the old iPhone.

5. ainjo1919 macrumors regular

Hey juice, you ordered it from the Apple site right?

Thanks.

6. juice macrumors newbie

Yeah I sure did order it from the apple site. Pretty simple process that walks you through your account and tells you the price. Try it for yourself, you don't have to confirm it until the end. I think some people had some issues earlier today, but it worked fine for me the 1st time I tried it.

7. dagomike macrumors 65816

Apple store wanted me to pay $18 upgrade fee + $18 activation fee. I'm a day one iPhone owner. WTF? I have to pay to upgrade? What happens if I wait 10 days to be out of contract? And why do I have to pay $18 to activate when I do it at home over iTunes. Really?

8. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

Same here.
    That's why I'm keeping mine.
    If it ain't broken, don't fix it

9. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

If you ask AT&T, they can waive the upgrade fee I think. Nowadays for "valued customers", they do waive it. I am able to get an upgrade without an upgrade fee.

10. timmypv15 macrumors regular

So is it just since original iPhone owners have had their contract for more than 18 months that they can upgrade? or is it simply the fact that they have the original iPhone. What I'm saying is, if I put my SIM in someone else's original iPhone, tell AT&T to put the original iPhone data plan on, then attempt to upgrade, will it let me at the subsidized price?

11. ainjo1919 macrumors regular

thanks juice, I'll try it right now.

12. dagomike macrumors 65816

What about activation?

This is the kind of crap that drives people crazy. I mean, I paid $600 for an unsubsidized phone and you want to charge me $18 to upgrade after -- after a two year contract? So, now I can't order online and I have to deal with AT&T idiots. I'm already on the fence on this phone...