Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleGoat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2010
I dropped my iPhone 6 for the umpteenth time and, judging by how the touchscreen has functioned over the past week, or rather hasn't functioned, that last drop was costly.

The touchscreen on my iPhone 6 has three modes:

1) Frozen lock screen mode. Home button and side buttons work but screen ignores repeated swipes and gestures. This mode is most common.

2) Possessed mode. Phone acts completely batty. Will open applications, call ex-girlfriends, decide when calls should be ended, etc. One time I had the calculator application open as the phone rested idly on my counter, for minutes it was performing all sorts of calculations, Beautiful Mind **** without my input.

3) Flawless (or near flawless) function mode. This one confounds me the most. This appears to be hardware issue (I have performed all the software troubleshoots to no avail). So, why do I have these intermittent moments of normal function? Wouldn't it stand to reason, if this is a hardware issue, that my phone would never operate properly?

Tomorrow morning, I have an appointment at the Genius Bar and I will, for once and for all, get an official diagnosis.

Until this problem arose, I wasn't planning on upgrading. My beloved phone is 3 generations old, err 3 and 1/2 since the X is like a half generation over the 8. My options are as follows:

a) Replace the screen for $129. Of course if that is determined to be necessary. As much as I love my phone, I have been through a lot with it, I have my reservations about sinking money into an older device. I got it back in 2014 and 3 years is an eternity in the cell world.

b) Get the iPhone 8. A decided improvement on mine but it feels more iterative than...

c) Get the iPhone X. I've owned two iPhones in my life, the 5 and the 6, both were purchased around their release date. Therefore, it would make sense to go with the a new design, since I've only purchased iPhones at new design points. I also crave the bigger size screen of the Plus but fear it will be too big for my hands. The X is a nice compromise between the 8 and 8+ on this front. That said, I can't stomach spending $1000 even though it seems so palatable when broken down into 24 monthly payments. The other problem is my brother and I are going out west next week (Vegas, Grand Canyon, Zion) and I'll need a working phone for the trip. There isn't a snowflake's chance in hell of having an X by then.

d) Defect to Android. Ie: Pixel 2. This is probably the least likely scenario since I own a Mac and the luxury of iMessage cannot be measured. I have also aspired to develop apps for iOS.

I know this is long but any input will be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Dan

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I don't see why you need input. See what the Genius Bar has to say as to problem and cost. If you don't want to repair, try some of the new phones and decide if the upgrade in technology is worth the dollar cost. Once you make that assessment, make the final decision.

Hands on experience is the way to go, not seeking input from people who will give you all kinds of suggestions. No need to muddy the waters and have more decisions and 'what If ' scenarios to consider. Keep things simple.

AppleGoat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2010
I don't see why you need input. See what the Genius Bar has to say as to problem and cost. If you don't want to repair, try some of the new phones and decide if the upgrade in technology is worth the dollar cost. Once you make that assessment, make the final decision.

Hands on experience is the way to go, not seeking input from people who will give you all kinds of suggestions. No need to muddy the waters and have more decisions and 'what If ' scenarios to consider. Keep things simple.

Good point and I will do all those things. Before I go in, I felt it couldn't hurt to see what others thought. The big thing is whether you guys believe the 6 is worth repairing for that amount. Before my phone got hurt I would have probably upgraded in a year or two.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Good point and I will do all those things. Before I go in, I felt it couldn't hurt to see what others thought. The big thing is whether you guys believe the 6 is worth repairing for that amount. Before my phone got hurt I would have probably upgraded in a year or two.
Again, only you can make that decision about repair. You pay the bills. We don't. It is easy for strangers to say upgrade etc. when they aren't paying the bills.

1) Can you afford the repair cost?
2) If you can afford the repair, are you happy with the phone model, and plan to keep the phone for a longer period of time?
3) If you can afford the repair but not happy with the current model, as to needs and wants, you need to look at some new phones, and judge each one as to need / want vs willingness to pay.
4) Test each phone. Make sure you know the return policy. If need be test each phone for 14 days and make the final decision.

Don't over analyze and create more questions than really need asking. Otherwise you will stay confused and uncertain. Not a good way to purchase.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Go stand in front of a mirror. Point your left index finger at the ceiling above your right shoulder. Then take your right index finger and point it at the ceiling above your left shoulder. Now bring both pointed fingers close to your face, and keeping the fingers pointed upward diagonally and rigid, touch them together, overlapping them at the second knuckle. Check yourself in the mirror and you have your best answer.

Reactions: DiveKitty

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
People on forums generally only prefer to give out unsolicited advice. If you specifically ask for it, then they’ll spend five minutes telling you to think for yourself.

Ditch the old 6, buy the X. You know you want to, otherwise you wouldn’t feel compelled to ask the collective :)

Also, get a sturdy case. ;-)

Reactions: DiveKitty

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I recognize this pattern. I too start looking for problems with my old iPhone, and get more careless with it, once a new model comes out that I really want. In fact, I think it’s time to take the protective case off my iPhone 6. ;)

As for choices: like you I am pretty wedded to iOS. I don’t actually own a Mac, but I do have an iPad and Apple Watch. Plus my wife, siblings, parents, and in laws all use iOS, iMessage, and photo stream. A coworker just got the Note 8, and it’s impressive. Another has the original Pixel. But for me it comes down to either the X or the 8 Plus. Coming from an iPhone 6 the Plus seems pretty big to me, but I really want dual cameras. The X provides that in a smaller package.

Still, I’m planning to compare them in person. Never hurts to get your hands on some demo models.

Sean

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.